blind in 1 eye/his first trail ride

~*Shia*~

May 13, 2006
on my horse
I'm working with a smartalic Islantic horse named Memphise. He is blind in one eye, his right to be exact if your riding him. I have resently had an offer to take him on his very first trail ride. He has never left his pasture or riding arena. Any help is ever so appretiated! Sami:)

Well, you never know until you find out, right? Plenty of horses are blind in an eye, or even both, and can cope just fine. Spooking is definitely more likely, so be prepared for that, but I don't see the harm in it. As long as you let him look around and see what's going on when he's getting a little jumpy, and know where you're taking him and the environment you'll be in, I think it will be alright. Don't get too cocky though, make sure you're taking him to a place you know well. At least at first. This is simply your first ride out on him, so try to keep it simple, keep it relaxed, and everything should go just fine! Good luck, and have fun! :)

For people, 3, friend, friends parents friend(adult), and then me.
For horses, memphy, slim and scampers.
And thank you for the advise! And I will let you guys know how it goes!:D

Hey

I'm sure he will do fine!! I ride at one-eyed horse at college, and used 2 jump a TB who was blind in one eye! Have confidence in him and he will be absolutly fine and will trust you!! Trusting each other is the key to success in horses like these! Just be ready for him to spook and keep your leg on him and stay relaxed with him!!
Good luck with him!! I am sure it will be fine! :D xXx

newrider.com