Blasted bot eggs still lingering

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I've noticed Joe still is suffering with those wretched bot eggs - I am struggling to get them off (they seemed to die down but are now back:confused: ) I've wormed him about a month ago (it said on the tube that it covered bot eggs). But, when the vet came out the other week for something else, he noticed the bot eggs and said we'd have to worm him again before winter. Can you "over worm"??? I don't want to just dose him again - any ideas on "when" I should do it? I'm on the yards worming program at the mo - but they've not mentioned worming again. Any ideas?

Not sure about the worming but try a razor rather than a bot knife to get rid of eggs.

i worm every 8 weeks with an ivermectin based wormer (ivermectin sorts the bot larvae out), and a tape worm wormer once a year.
that seems to keep on top of the bots.

theoretically you should worm for bots (with a suitable bot killing wormer) after the first frost of the winter as the frost will kill off any bot flies so your horse can't be reinfested with the eggs.

also in spring to kill off any larvae before they pass through and hatch into bot flies and start laying eggs again, but my system means i don't have to, as my wormer covers bot eggs anyhow.

hope this helps

ETA i tried the razor thing and ended up with a motheaten looking horse-i was rubbish at it :eek:

nettex do a bot remover product that you just spray on and you get a special sponge with it to just wipe away the bot eggs, seems to work ok for my yard owner

That nettex stuff sounds interesting, must invest in some of that for next year!!!
Thanks for the info on worming teabiscuit. Jessey don't worry about not getting any for some weird reason - the bot flies didn't like him last year on old yard!!! Lolahut, somebody else mentioned a razor - (don't know if its a good idea for me or not, am not that steady handed!!!)

Yes you can overworm and lots of people do. All that ivermectin going through the horses system then out onto the pasture where it continues to kill small creatures.... not good.
Bots should be treated in midwinter with either ivermectin or Equest. At that time they will be overwintering in the horses stomach and the wormer will expell them.

Thanks for that Gill - I will worm mid winter then. Finally managed to get a bot block yesterday!!! They're a little easier to get off using that.

newrider.com