blanket rubs, advice?

kedwards

Jun 11, 2000
Connecticut, US
Visit site
Anyone have any advice for reducing blanket rubs? I put a nylon sheet under the winter turnout, but he still gets rubs on his shoulders and alond his body. Would a slinky help? How about a blanket liner with nylon next to the coat?

It might help to get a different kind of blanket entirely. Duchess' shoulders got rubbed last winter from a sheet that did not fit her right. The shape of your blanket may be causing the rubs on his shoulder--may be uncomfortable, too. A chunky warmblood (wiiide shoulders) that I knew last year was chronically sore in his shoulders until they got him better fitting blankets that didn't rub.

eek! Didn't know blankets could rub that bad! I know that the harness for one of the horses fits very poorly and he's rubbing under the collar with a big bald patch, so now that I think on it it does seem reasonable.

Glad Mears blankie fits so well!

Changing the way you do up the rug can help too - ie experiment with the tightness\looseness of straps etc Some rugs seem much better when they are quite snug around the horse and others are better when there is plenty of room.

Rather than nylon - try a satin anti-rub vest - although if you're getting rubs elsewhere this won't help. A jute underrug is often helpful - one that you can clip onto the dees of the overrug. And scraps of wool (as in sheepskin) can be great if you can get them - for canvas rugs etc you can glue them onto the underside in the appropriate places.

Other than that you may be stuck with finding a replacement rug
:( as some just don't seem to fit and rub no matter what.

Hi Kediwards, I had trouble with this last year. I think my horse might be similary shaped to yours, he is a 4 yr old TB. The blanket I was using rubbed his shoulders, so I used a slinky-type shoulder guard. This saved his shoulders but it rubbed at the top of his withers. Then I bought a Robin Hood ($90!) and this also rubbed him! He was also getting a bit of a sore back. My trainer lent me a high-neck Rambo of hers, and presto! No more problems with rubbing or sore back. Needless to say I bought a Rambo of my own.
His original blanket was also a good brand, just didn't fit him properly. My trainer thinks the high necks on the Rambos are great for the high withered horses.
Hope you find what works for you!
oh - and the Rambo was fantastically tough. He wore it most of the winter and I only had to replace the trim.

Maverick suffers badly from rug rub.

I use a stain vest that is tight to the skin. It doesn't move at all, therefore there is no rub at all.
He wears the vest permanently or else his hair just breaks at the roots.

Lilly is a very fine coated TB and her T/O rugs used to rub her so we added sheepskin to the inside of the rug so that it as no longer rubbing.

This worked realy well but you could use other materials such as fleece :)

The winter turnout actual has a fleece lining. I started using the nylon sheet, because someone suggested that the fleece may have actually caused the hair loss since it may rub the hair rather than sliding over it the way a smooth material does. But, turns out, I have the problem even with the sheet underneath.

So, perhaps I should look into a different turnout blanket, such as the Rambo Alice suggested. I imagine I could find someone to buy my current turnout, it's still in great shape.

Thanks for everyone's help!

newrider.com