Black or brown tack on a black pony? (for general use including local showing)

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
Which should i get?

Choice so far is black, bates havana brown or normal havana brown (depending on what saddle i eventually get.

so which black or brown??

Photo's of pic

028.jpg

027.jpg

How she looks in the summer -

not a very good pic but you get to see her body really
070.jpg

063.jpg

Last edited:
Either black or very dark brown, I think chocco tack on a black pony looks silly (from a person with a black horse lol) I do locallevel showing and Kia wears black tack.

Please dont put a white numnah on for showing get a shaped black one for under your saddle for showing and save the white numnah for dessage :)

I would opt for a dark brown, with white saddle cloth.

Hmm, these are the colours i have available as choices really -

Thorogood T6 dk havana synthetic

bt6.jpg

bates havana (anyone know if it is this light in real life?)

batesbrown.jpg

black

batessaddle.jpg

For showing I probably wouldn't use a saddle cloth or if i did then just a numnah same colour as saddle.

Either black or very dark brown, I think chocco tack on a black pony looks silly (from a person with a black horse lol) I do locallevel showing and Kia wears black tack.

Please dont put a white numnah on for showing get a shaped black one for under your saddle for showing and save the white numnah for dessage :)

see, i know black tack isn't technically correct for showing but am wondering if it will look best on her? Don't think it really matters at local level anymore does it? I know at one point it wasn't correct at any level.

The bates brown looks really light :unsure:

see, i know black tack isn't technically correct for showing but am wondering if it will look best on her? Don't think it really matters at local level anymore does it? I know at one point it wasn't correct at any level.

The bates brown looks really light :unsure:

Well I have every colour of rossie and I have yet to be told I was marked down for his tack.

as long as it fits well and is correct to type you will be fine, the bates does look very light more of an SJ tan colour Ithink wouldnt be my choice :):wink:

Well I have every colour of rossie and I have yet to be told I was marked down for his tack.

as long as it fits well and is correct to type you will be fine, the bates does look very light more of an SJ tan colour Ithink wouldnt be my choice :):wink:

yep, my thoughts ok...rules out the bates brown then. Incidentally i got the T6 for Harvey simply because i tried the brown T4 on him and it actually clashed with his coat colour (chestnut) lol.

Hmm, still undecided about the actual bates saddles but is looking like black or poss thorowgood dk havana then.

Have to make my mind up as KV would like to know what colour to make her (one bridle for life!) bridle up in! (plain hunter cavesson)

I have a dark havana T6 for Eowyn and I plonked it on Kia for comparison and I didnt like it BUT I like black tack on a black so I might be biased :wink:

Just wanted to point out that I havent so far been told I was marked down for it, more likely that he bucks under saddle at the most inappropriate times lol :biggrin:

I have a dark havana T6 for Eowyn and I plonked it on Kia for comparison and I didnt like it BUT I like black tack on a black so I might be biased :wink:

Just wanted to point out that I havent so far been told I was marked down for it, more likely that he bucks under saddle at the most inappropriate times lol :biggrin:

oh yes, bearing in mind she's only done in hand shows so far and gets a bit excited by that plus the fact her 4 yr old rider is a speed junkie who only believes in winning and going fast I have a fair idea that in the first season or so the colour of her tack won't be the reason we're not placed :giggle::wink:

but i learnt the hard way with Harvey that sometimes it's best to buy one set of good tack that fits rather then continually buying cheaper, poorer quality/fitting tack so don't want to have to change her tack in a few years (unless of course it doesn't fit anymore...small riders are simply not allowed to grow!)

On the other hand though i suppose black tack might make her look blacker rather then the sometimes sun bleached dk brown we get towards the end of summer!

I might plonk harvey's T6 on her tomorrow and just see what it looks like on her colour wise. I think as you say though it might be too light in colour still.

I got a UV flyrug for Kia and Eowyn (masta make not that expensive) and its has stopped him going brown :)

Wasnt more than 25 quid each :) just if you want to keep her black :)

I got a UV flyrug for Kia and Eowyn (masta make not that expensive) and its has stopped him going brown :)

Wasnt more than 25 quid each :) just if you want to keep her black :)

Might do when we do a bit more showing but she probably won't do much this year as she's not 4 until end of season.

Both of them pretty much go through the year without rugs but might be willing to go to the extra faff next year lol. (depends of course how much kids get into showing)

Lf I'd be surprised if she fits a t6:
/4 and actually quite jealous - at 12"1 and 4"9/5th tugs it's a squeeze for her to have a 15" saddle - If looking at thorowgoods I would be looking at the maxam(know you have one), pony club and griffin ranges... T4/6 only go to a 16"

Unless it's harness work, brown all the way for any colour horse.

And no saddle cloth or a very discreet black saddle shaped numnah. White will break up the lines and hit the judge in the eye.

I was always told "brown for riding, black for driving". I know this is old fashioned, but I suppose you might get an old fashioned judge!

Only black harness on certain vehicles, it's very silly and complicated! ;) Brown for riding and in hand though.

Lf I'd be surprised if she fits a t6:
/4 and actually quite jealous - at 12"1 and 4"9/5th tugs it's a squeeze for her to have a 15" saddle - If looking at thorowgoods I would be looking at the maxam(know you have one), pony club and griffin ranges... T4/6 only go to a 16"

I'll admit i didn't realise that the T4/6 only started at a 16". 15.5" is the absolute max for Piccolo but due to the size of the people mainly riding her I would prefer a 15". Piccolo is currently a shade under 12hh and in 4ft 9/5ft rugs. Her maxam is a 15" and is a nice length on her though.

Unless it's harness work, brown all the way for any colour horse.

And no saddle cloth or a very discreet black saddle shaped numnah. White will break up the lines and hit the judge in the eye.

Hmm, if I go with brown it will have to be the right sort of brown e.g that bates brown saddle will look funny i think. If the Thorowgoods don't go down small enough then not sure what brand/type of saddle to go for (don't really want to spend more then £450 and want it to be able to be changed slightly as she does more work but also need a wide central channel as she's easily a wide to x wide, even though not overweight and of course either leather or leather look)

Is black tack still frowned upon then in local showing circles? Classes will be things like lead rein and eventually first ridden, m&m etc.

Her (now outgrown) english leather in hand bridle is dk havana brown and that looks nice on her though too. Similar colour to the one on Indy Wally.

So suggestions would be nice :)

Hmm, this is getting harder by the moment! I'd like to get a idea as to what saddle/price before saddle fitter comes so I know what to suggest they bring.

Must say i was nearly tempted when i saw the email come through from equistrian clearance, not that i need another saddle. They just look so lovley!! *Drools*

I had a saddle fitter out last week to measure up Finn for a custom made saddle, he asked what colour i wanted and i said black and he said 'well you do know you'll get laughed at in the show ring with a black saddle, the judges usually hate them!' :unsure:

I orderd black anyway, im not keen on brown tack at all. I just love seeing reaaaally shiny black tack!

Plus a brown saddle wouldnt match my black KV bridle would it :wink:

I can deffo see why your tempted though, seems like a really good price.
Cant you ring up your saddler and see what he thinks of the bates saddles??

Must say i was nearly tempted when i saw the email come through from equistrian clearance, not that i need another saddle. They just look so lovley!! *Drools*

I had a saddle fitter out last week to measure up Finn for a custom made saddle, he asked what colour i wanted and i said black and he said 'well you do know you'll get laughed at in the show ring with a black saddle, the judges usually hate them!' :unsure:

I orderd black anyway, im not keen on brown tack at all. I just love seeing reaaaally shiny black tack!

Plus a brown saddle wouldnt match my black KV bridle would it :wink:

I can deffo see why your tempted though, seems like a really good price.
Cant you ring up your saddler and see what he thinks of the bates saddles??

yes, might very well phone up the saddler and see what they think of the bates one. Although would still have the dilemma that the brown bates seems really light and it's looking like brown will be the way to go!

Piccolo is also getting a KV bridle (Harvey has one and it's fab!, also gets lots of good remarks in the show ring!) but want to know what saddle first so i can get the right colour bridle (budget won't stretch to two bridles! lol.)

This is about the only other saddle contender that comes in brown and goes down to small pony size (15") but i'm not sure if it looks a bit synthetic and the colour is still really quite light.

http://www.thorowgood.com/Pony-Club.html

newrider.com