Bitting dilemma

helen.e

Jun 8, 2007
My 11 year old exmoor pony has a small mouth, with a large tongue and fleshy lips and is quite sensitive in his mouth. I bought him last year and his back/teeth/saddle have been checked recently.
He was in a hanging cheek snaffle when I bought him, but was quite strong, so I tried a neue schule lozenge beval which he really liked and went well in. He is on livery at a showing yard and a pelham was introduced so he could do some open m&m classes. Initially he went OK in it, but then started opening his mouth and sticking his tongue out, at which point all control is lost! I changed back to the beval and added a flash strap (loosely fitted) to remind him his mouth has to stay shut. He has been happy in this all winter but we haven't been out to any shows.
Last week I tried a neue schule pelham with same lozenge mouthpiece as the beval he likes. He immediately started to open his mouth again and seemed quite unhappy.
He will not tolerate a double bridle as there isn't enough room in his mouth.
The showing season is approaching and I don't know what I should do next. He has now learned to open his mouth to evade any bit and I am worried I will have no control if he does this in the show ring. I would love to find a bit that is comfortable for him so he no longer feels the need to do this. Are there mouthpieces which are better for ponies/horses with large tongues? Any advice would be much appreciated.

you need to makes sure your mouthpiece is not too big as there will not be enough room in his mouth but at the same time if you have a very thin one and your horse has a fleshy tongue there will be a lot of pressure one one point which will not be idea. have you tried copper rollers? (my answer to everything) as horses cannot take hold of the bit or run away from it.

newrider.com