Bitting - curious

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Well it's been about 30 years since Ive been to a show, went today and it struck me as strange how many people in the ridden classes were using a Pelham bit? out of the classes I watched all but two people were using them, Im just curious as to why? Is this something that is expected.
Only asking as was considering maybe next summer doing a few local shows with Belle, but won't bother if we have to have a Pelham bit in.
Also alot of people were discussing tack and saying how everyone was riding in a double bridle, I thought a double bridle had two bits ie snaffle and pelham or some such? These were just one bit but with the curb chain? Someone please enlighten me?

A double bridle is a Bridoon (snaffle) and a curb bit, there are many kinds of bridoon and many kinds of curb bit you can use in combination to make up a double.

A Pelham is a a single mouth ( many kinds are available) with two reins and a curb chain and lip strap.

Generally a more novice horse can go sweetly in a Pelham where as a lot more training needs to be put in for a horse to go sweetly in a double.

newrider.com