Bits and chunky cobs.....what do you use?

cobbychic

Oct 21, 2008
Norfolk
Bits are a mine field and choosing the right one can be sooooo hard.

Was just wondering what people have for their chunky cobs?

Dylan schools in a loose ring lozenge snaffle and is fine but hacking in company in canter he can be hard to stop. I usually just wait for him to stop but wondered how other people get on?

Lucy is in a thin single jointed cupro-nickel snaffle.
She was hard to stop when I first started riding her (more specifically, she had her own ideas about where we should go fast or not!) ... but with schooling she's 100% in the snaffle in all situations.
I'm hoping to be similarly successful with my freshly backed youngster. He's in a sweet iron snaffle with a copper lozenge and currently going well in that :). Fingers crossed!

I ride in a french link fulmer. Need the cheek bits for steering sometimes, but just yesterday realised that it's pretty ineffective when he really decides he isn't stopping!!:rolleyes: Luckily was in a big open field so let him run himself tired...then made the bugger carry on gallopping so he realised it wasn't a good idea to take mum for a run!!!;)

6 inch plain snaffle! It's quite thick. I finaly worked out that he needed a thick bit to stop it having pressure on a small part of his mouth and he needed to go up half an inch cos he's got a big fleshy cob mouth!
DSC00090.jpg

I have my coblet in a 6 inch thinish fulmer single joint snaffle. Helps with turning, as sometimes he needs a strong outside rein contact to stop him falling in. The brakes are OK suprisingly, and a thin mouthpeice suits him as his tongue is so big! He does go in a pelham for XC and when at comps.

newrider.com