Bitless & Breathing Interferences

Jay.o

Aug 15, 2002
Berkshire
Visit site
Hi all,

After owning my horse for a few years and knowing he has never 100% accepted any bit I have tried, I have been looking into the Bitless market.

In theory, the Dr Cook looks lovely, seems to have a lot of success stories and their articles/reasonings are quite understandable and persuasive.

My only 'issue' with this bridle is how low the noseband sits on the horses' nose. Having it down that low, does it not interfere with nostril inhalation? I am sure that having a conventioal noseband or any sort, be it flash, grackle, whatever, sitting too low down and tight will interfere with breathing.

Any one care to shed some light on this?

If you are careful with the fitting you will see it clears the nostrils and doesnt affect the breathing:D

If its affecting the breathing its been fitted too low.

I use a Dr Cook style that's fitted a bit like a drop noseband - and I've never heard anybody say a drop noseband affected breathing ;)

lol it occurred to me after I'd posted this that I guess anything strapped down too tight below the bony bit of the nose would constrict breathing :D So the Dr. Cooks fitted badly will certainly affect breathing - in the same way that a badly fitted flash or drop noseband can :D

The cross-unders are supposed to fitted "like a drop noseband" - i.e. at the same place on the horse's nose (i.e. at the bottom of the bony part of the nose and not below...), and you should still be able to fit two fingers under the strap. My horse can (unfortunately) quite happily eat a whole cow parsley plant while wearing his, so it doesn't stop him opening his mouth ;)

The main thing is to fit the noseband snugly enough that it doesn't ride up when you take up a contact on the reins - if it's too loose, taking up a contact can pull the noseband up the face, altering the effect of the bridle.

Thanks for everyones' thoughts and opinions. I am guessing there is an instruction manual that comes with the bridle for fitting purposes etc, as with most bitless bridles.

Thanks again, I will be sleeping on it for the next few days :rolleyes:

Yes there is an instruction manual =]

I've done 4 mile xc courses at high speed in my dr cooks and my horse has still gone without breathing problems so can't see if fitted correctly it should affect at all - certainly doesn't with mine...

Ditto the others really, but my mare goes better in an English hackamore than a Dr Cook - might be a cheaper option for you to try to see whether bitless would benefit?

Do you still have Mysti?

Silly computer's refusing to edit - can't remember whether her name was Mysti but for some reason it's what's popping to mind? Sorry if I've got it wrong!

Thanks again for all your input. I'm looking into any form of bitless at the moment. I have been looking at eBay for various styles, motions and combinations. I was drawn to the Dr Cook by reviews, the concept/theory and the fact it looks so conventional and like that of a bridle. Also, the Dr Cook offer the 30 day money back garentee too, which is a great offer to take full advantage of!

Showjumper, her name was Mysy, so close ;) and no, I dont have her any more. She was sold on to a new home in October 2006. I currently have Ben, a lovely bay 15.3 ex racer TB. A really nervous chap, but a heart of gold :D

lol only 2 letters out, quite pleased with that :D Ben sounds lovely - I'd nag for photos but am without internet at home still and photos are blocked at work :rolleyes:

newrider.com