Bit size for Arab

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
I've just put a deposit down on my first horse - a 15.2, 4 year old Arab, broken last year. Owner told me to get a full-size bridle but I didn't know that bits came in different sizes too - doh! I know the bit I want, same as he's wearing now (although his owner wasn't sure what the bit is called - it's a small stud and I think the horses just get tacked up, by the grooms, with whatever suits them best out of what they have available). It's a jointed snaffle, she thought breaking bit? - the two halves are plastic not metal - with full cheek pieces.

Can anyone tell me what sort of size bit he is likely to need, or is that a stupid question until I've got him? Also saddle size? I'm not going to buy a saddle until I have him home because I do want to get one fitted, but would like to look about and see what's available. It will be a cheaper synthetic one because I imagine he's going to change shape quite a bit over the next year or two.

Thanks for any help.

I would wait for everything until you get him.

I purchased a full size bridle for my Trakehner (TBxArab) and it was huge for him.

You may have the same problem. I had to add more holes and cut off the excess. Bit of a shame but I didnt pay much for it so that's not so bad.

Advise you get saddle professionally fitted also.

Thanks No_Angel. You're right about the bit - just done a google and it looks the same, so at least I know what bit I want now, even if not the size! I'll try asking the owner but she was a bit vague about sizes and things. Thanks :)

A lot of online tack shops let you take bits on a trial basis so at least you don't have to worry about buying one and it not fitting - or you can buy a couple you think might fit and send back the one that doesn't?

I would wait for everything until you get him.

I purchased a full size bridle for my Trakehner (TBxArab) and it was huge for him.

You may have the same problem. I had to add more holes and cut off the excess. Bit of a shame but I didnt pay much for it so that's not so bad.

Advise you get saddle professionally fitted also.

Thanks Claire, was just sitting here looking at the bridle and wondering the same - it's really hard for me to judge because my loan is a Clydesdale X with a HUGE head so normal bridles & headcollars look tiny to me! Anyway, I've got it from a local shop and they said I can swap it as long as I've only tried it on and not actually used it. I'm just so impatient to get everything ready!

Storm our 15.2 3/4 arab mare has a tiny 4.5" bit and cob bridle which just fits on nearly the top hole (I suspect she would probably fit a pony bridle on the bottom holes).

Id imagine an arab would go in a cob bridle cause there so dainty? cant help with the bit im afraid my mare goes in 5 ana half inch. Id wait til hes here and maybe see about borrowing one of someone you know to get an idea?
xx

Well my arab has a 5" bit (happy mouth full cheek too but double jointed with a bean in the middle).
His bridle is cob-sized (or equivalent) though I think my sabre full size would probably have sufficient holes to fit him, even if there is a bit too much leather.

I could also recommend you getting a bridle made to measure ?
It is alot more affordable than I thought it could be and the results are great !

As for saddles - get it fitted !
I'm gonna have saddler out in the next week or so - I'm going towards a saddle with adjustable gullet (if it fits) as my arab's 5 but the breed is known for maturing late.
I think the first-price synthetic (immitation leather) wintec with adjustable gullet was quoted at 275 euros !!! It's a new range that is just out apparently ...

Last edited:
Thanks everyone - some really useful advice. I'm sure the bridle I've got will be too big now. Might take it back and swap it this weekend and get the 5" bit then if it fits I'll be ready and if it doesn't I haven't lost anything. Anyway, I've texted owner but not heard back from her yet. With a full time job, 27 foals due and 17 yearlings to look after, she's probably pretty busy!

Thanks again everyone.

Hello, I have a 14.2 3/4 Arab. She has a cob bridle but its slightly big and would fit in pony easily. The bit size in 4.5" to 5" depends on the bit really. Saddle wise they tend to be wide with short backs, mine has a 16.5 wide fit.
I tend to find whatever i buy for her is wrong, if i buy pony she is cob and vice versa!! Good luck!

Thanks, am definitely going back today to swap the bridle for a cob size. Heard from owner too, he takes a 5" bit so I can get that sorted.

I was going to say my arab wears a cob size bridle but a full size brow band. She is also bitless as her palate is very soft though was a five inch fitwise.

I found a saddle a nightmare to find so got one made by my local saddler. Arabs are not the easiest to fit because they usually have high withers, short back and wide shoulders. Be aware your horse will change shape over the next few years as arabs mature slowly shape wise and he will change muscle tone as you work him keep checking your saddle.

Last edited:
JustJas;2528057Arabs are not the easiest to fit because they usually have high withers said:
Yes, he's only 4, just been gelded and will be worked a lot more with me than he's been used to (hopefully anyway), so I should think he'll change shape quite a bit. I'm not planning on spending a lot of money on our first saddle, so I'm hoping he will fit into one of the ready-made synthetic ones! I'd like a show/dressage type so that it doesn't restrict his shoulders, as this is what he's used to at the moment.

When he's matured (and that will be a question for the future - when will that be?) I can get him a better saddle (if I've any money left by then - seem to be bleeding it at the moment!)

Arabs are not the easiest to fit because they usually have high withers, short back and wide shoulders.

interestingly enough, I sorta have this dilemma for mine.
OK with the humungous shoulders (and rather wide/flat back) but he has no withers (at 5yo) and he's longer in the back than my QH
I can feel that he's gonna be one that matures when he'll be ready for retirement :rolleyes:

My two Arabs have completely different shapes and sizes of heads so the mare uses a cob size and the gelding a full size. I use the endurance combination bridles which I particualrly liked for my youngster as you can unclip the bit and drop it out gently, minimising the risk of banging teeth if the horse tosses his head when ubridling. These bridles are fully adjustable, reasonably priced and you can chuck them in the washing machine. My mare has had hers for 15 years and it still looks like new after 1000's of kms! Bit-wise both mine have low palates and big tongues and dont like jointed bits in any shape or form. The mare has a sweet iron french link and the gelding a nueue schule lozenge bit. Mare is 4.5 inch, gelding 5 1/4 inch.
Saddles have been an ongoing issue for us over the years and I have tried them all from synthetic, dressage, free n easy, orthoflex, western.... not because I like trying out new saddles but because she changed shape and muscled up so much, and has a huge extravagent shoulder movement. We're happy just now in a saddle exchange comfort seeker, which is a working hunter cut, you can purchase a numnah with shims to accomodate growing/muscling up which I was sceptical about at first, but its working a treat on my pair. His shape will probably change enormously from a 4 year old to when he's fully mature, good luck with him, do you have pics yet?

Thanks for the info. I don't have any decent pictures but he is on horsemart http://www.horsemart.co.uk/advert/4_yrs_15_2_hh_dapple_grey_arab_horse_nottinghamshire/93364

I plan on pleasure rides, getting out and about hacking and might have a go at le trec (when we've got to know each other), so hopefully he will be getting fitter and muscling up a bit as well as naturally filling out.

I just googled the endurance combination bridles, what a good idea! I might invest in one of those when we start getting out and about a bit.

My arab is between a pony and cob size for bridles! I have a beautiful Kis Vihar one made to measure :D Would def recommend one of these ;)

My arab is 15hh and is short backed - he takes a 16.5" wide fit although i would strongly recommend you have one properly fitted to him :) My boy will not comfortably take a 17" which he was previously ridden in plus a bit too big for his mouth hence his behaviour! I have him in a myler comfort snaffle although looking to try another type of myler as he has a huge tongue, too many teeth and a low palette.

newrider.com