Bit of market research help please

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Not sure if I am allowed to do this but I am sure mods will delete if necessary. Can any of you please give me an idea of what you would expect to pay for these breeches - all colours, sizes and styles some with gel knees etc. Comparable to the good quality ones in material and manufacturer - but unlabelled. Had an incredible offer from an old friend to help with my charity fundraising but a little out of my depth - I usually ride in denims or jeggings! white breeches.jpg new breeches.jpg

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I'm a bargain hunter, if I like something I will often go and look for the equivalent without the name as I don't care about names, most things you can find for 1/2-3/4 of the branded items price, horsey gear can be more of a challenge though as everything horsey gets marked up.

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Yes me too - and I'd say 90 per cent of my customers are too. Well that is my ethos with anything new I get donated regardless of a name tag I do try to mark them down to give away prices - stack 'em high and sell 'em cheap and all that. It seems to work for me anyway. Just not sure where the price range falls for something like these. Will have to spend some time googling I think.

Reactions: Jessey

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
I wish I could help but I only buy cheap breeches, maybe @OBC could offer suggestions, I remember she wears good quality stuff. :)

Reactions: Cortrasna

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
I do the opposite - after years of cheap jods and breeches, I splashed out on summer denim breeches by Pikeur. They were so comfortable I bought Pikeur winter breeches too. It is true I only ride twice a week but those two pairs of breeches are so good that I havent needed to buy more for nine years. For yard work I wear jeans.
But if you are talking about the price people pay for high quality used or unlabelled, I would say half the new price. I sold good almost unused boots half price.

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
They do look nice breeches. As I am a skinflint I would usually look for breeches at about the £20 mark, unless they were going to be 'special best' breaches for any reason (and then I'd put them on my Christmas list). I might go up to £30 for a pair of those though, if they are good quality. That's just me though, not saying they aren't worth more, it's just that I wouldn't spend the money, so I'd bypass them and find something cheaper.

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
What fabric and what weight?
With the hunting season underway you might get more for pale colours at this time of year.

I spend anything from £10-£30. I like Gorringe and Sheldon. Spent a lot of time finding them fit to be honest! I am not like Skib, I haven't stayed the same size in the last nine years. :)

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I am a bit skin flinty these days lol
I don't usually pay more than £20 for jodhs or breeches. Have found expensive ones don't make me look like a model or help me ride any better:p
I think breeches are always more expensive? Than jodhs? Just not sure why?
Sorry not much help! I hope you sell plenty:D

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
I have some coming in the next few days for me to see the quality and finish etc. supposedly top notch but we will see. Also claimed to be out of the same factory as one of the very expensive riding wear people just without the flashy tag. I trust the person who is offering them for the fund raising 100 per cent - and I now know myself that many of the bridles I sell are identical in all but name tag to ones at 3 times the price tag, and out of the same manufacturer's warehouse, so nothing surprises me anymore. Well it does surprise me how much extra people will pay for a name tag I guess even when they know they are getting the same item for so much less money - but the name tag is missing so no good to them lol! Weird! :eek:

Reactions: Trewsers

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I know the same happens with rugs.
They can't do an all out copy but they can alter the thickness of the fabric etc.

I think Sheldon is a Shires version. Wish I could find a Joules version because I must confess I do like the quality of their tops.

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Exactly that NF - they only need a minor detail altered apparently and that makes it legal - I did manage to check it out myself when I was selling at Tatts in Dublin this summer, alongside some of the big retailers. I had some gorgeous patent bling dressage bridles - really pretty if that is your thing. A really nice guy from the neighbouring retailer alongside us was having a nose around and pointed out that mine were identical to some of his Very expensive ones, and at my prices he may as well pack up and go home lol! But he went and got one to compare, mine did not have white padding at the poll or the posh button on the browband. I pointed out to him that the customers that wandered around his stock wouldn't; dream of looking on a charity stall like mine, nor would they ever buy anything without the fancy browband button. We both had a good day so it works out in the end I guess. :)

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I guess it's similar with horses. Some people want those that you press a button and others are happy with horses without buttons. :D

Funnily enough I wouldn't say I am a labels fan, but if I do fancy a product I know when and where to look to get it for less than the full price. It's not always made for us horsey folk either that adds a 0 or two on the end. ;)

Lissie

Jan 18, 2016
I'd pay £30 for a pair if high waisted and technical fabric. I'd pay more for a pair of breeches I really liked, I don't like crystals, but a lot of people do. 2 most important things I look for is fit and the fabric. I like thicker weight technical material, higher waist to keep my back warm and sticky knees a plus. I'm not bothered about labels. My fave pairs are mark todd, pikeur, just toggs do a nice pair with sticky knees for a good price. They are my faves based on fit, comfort and fabric.

@newforest have you got the gorriage cord ones?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
If they are as well made as my others they are long lasting, dry quick and still going strong as I got them secondhand.

Reactions: Lissie

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
We too have German cord breeches for winter when it is below freezing. Have had the same pair since I first started hacking in 2003. We were told they werent made any more. And if the temp is very low you can wear thermal long johns under them.