bit help/advice ?

fresian

fresian
Mar 11, 2009
Hi, my new cob cross seems to have a problem with his bit as he tosses his head up and down with it. He originally had a simple loose ring snaffle and now has a (curved) eggbutt snaffle in case it was the bit pinching but he still seems to do it. I have had his teeth back and saddle checked. He has some sores on the inside of his gums which the vet says are healing but I don't think the bit would affect these areas? He does it when you just put the bridle on before even riding- does anyone have any suggestions? thanks a lot:)

i would say if it is pinching them use a straight bar. HOWEVER, if it is because bit is pressing and hurting somewhere, gums, etc then this may make things worse. Other thing is you can get a french link snaffle which has like a figure 8 axtra bit in teh middle and should stop pinching. may be best to try something like that first.

connor was and still is slightly aprehensive about putting the bit in his mouth he was putting his head right up so that my short arms could not reach his nose to bring it back down and if i had hold of his nose he would keep on trying to chuck his head up and would go backwards (walking not rearing) he did this when we had changed his bit, when we bought him the dealers had him in a hanging snaffle (otherwise i think known as a hanging check not sure if it is the same though) however we found he was very very tense in his neck and back when in a outline so we put a lose ring happy mouth snaffle with a revolver in he loved it however this problem with the bit became a issue as i was only borrowing the bit we though becaus eit had those bit rings on to stop the bit slipping it was that and when we took them off he became alot better about putting them in, however he was so light in the hand to pull up when we bought him anouther bit we bought a fixed happy mouth snaffle he seem to be going okay in this one

i would suggest that that he is not entirley happy with the bit. is it only when you are putting the bit in or when you are riding as well

Have everything checked over, sores can be painfil it could be as little as a tooth comeing out, eggbutt snaffle is what i use.

I might try the french link. The mare that I currently ride used to be ridden very harshly and when we got she was very anxious about the bit. At first they tried her in a straight bar, then used the french link. The french link seemed to be the least offensive to her, and after being ridden in that for awhile she settled down and learned to accept the bit. She now goes in a plain snaffle.

Hi, my new cob cross seems to have a problem with his bit as he tosses his head up and down with it. He originally had a simple loose ring snaffle and now has a (curved) eggbutt snaffle in case it was the bit pinching but he still seems to do it. I have had his teeth back and saddle checked. He has some sores on the inside of his gums which the vet says are healing but I don't think the bit would affect these areas? He does it when you just put the bridle on before even riding- does anyone have any suggestions? thanks a lot:)
ditto same problem but mine only does it when after warming him up in walk and go into trot. What age is yours? mine's 5 and a lot of people I've been talking too seem to think it will be teeth related needing his teeth done or is teething and not to change the bit? I know you have said you have had all this checked out could it be allergy related then?
I'm in the middle of trying to rule things out at the minute. Will let you know how I get on and if you suss yours out can you let me know?

Last edited:
thanks for all your replies :) seemed better in the bit today- just used a more padded noseband :rolleyes: - only did it today a bit after riding - not sure if that helps you pmcc-:):confused:

thanks for all your replies :) seemed better in the bit today- just used a more padded noseband :rolleyes: - only did it today a bit after riding - not sure if that helps you pmcc-:):confused:

hmm could be worth looking at his noseband, was talking to someone the other day who sells equestrian gear and they said some horses that shake their heads do so because the nose band kind of annoys or numbs their facial nerves and that theres a bridle that is designed to avoid those areas? dont know what it looks like and cannot remember the name but they say its good for horses who want to instantly rub their noses on you or their legs after you get off?? dunno but anything is worth a look:)

bit problems/ separation anxiety?

Despite being fine with the bit for the past week, the head shaking up and down has re-started again. He has moved to a new field/herd and keeps calling to them when we are going to ride- could this sort of separation anxiety be the cause not the bit ?:eek:

I am sure now it can't be the bit pinching or being in the wrong place as he has been absolutely fine until now. It has about 2 wrinkles to the mouth, I tried lowering the bit and the head shaking lessened only slightly and he started completely ignoring my aids, backing and swinging quarters out :mad:

I have had his teeth, saddle checked last week but now he is completely different to ride, doesn't listen to my aids etc.

thanks in advance for any advice

newrider.com