Bit advice

I

Iwantahorse!

Hi
My friend was telling me about a bit she thought my be more comfortable for Ruby and I've forgot what she called it. It's like snaffle but has a link in the middle so it is gentler on the mouth, what kind of bit would it be? Also, for a TB 16.1h what inch length should I look for? I could go and measure the bit on her bridle lol but it's not with me at the mo and I was going to order one tonight. Thanks in advance :)

french link snaffle, my 16.1 tb was 5.5 but then my 16.2hh id x tb is a 6", so i would check her current bit:)

eggbutt link snaffle with copper in the centre, found this very good on horses just broken to enjoy the bit as it is soft in the centre

Okay, i've got her usual bit here, how do I measure it? Do I measure across the links from one side to another?

Lol, I can't ask her, she's in Egypt for two weeks!

What's the difference between the eggbut link and the french link? I thought the eggbut link was the shape of the two connected pieces of metal :eek:.

Haven't heard of a peanut, I'm sure I would have remembered that, what is that like?

My mate said to try the particular bit because Ruby is in the middle of teeth work, she's been rasped but still needs further work. She's not doing anything alarming with her current bit but my friend said that while I'm waiting to get the next lot of work done this other bit might be more kinder to her mouth - does that sound right for the eggbut/french link?

I'm debating whether to try her bitless to be honest, but until I get the confidence to do it I'll try changing her bit and then see how we go after she's had all her dental work.
Thanks for replying and sorry if i come across as a bit confused - I have no experience of changing bits andthere's so many different ones :eek:

newrider.com