Bit advice please!!!

Fabio's Filly!

Oct 30, 2008
Lincolnshire
Hi!

More bit advice please, not for me this time (doing great since i swapped!), but my friends having a bit of trouble with her horse at the minute.

She's not had him long but in the last couple of weeks he's bolted with her a few times and yesterday it left her really shaken up. He bolted up a road with her (luckily it was a quiet country one, but still not good). She tried to stop him with no joy, he literally was unstoppable until he was out of steam at the top of the road. He done the opposite to the problem i was having though as he lifted his head really high to go (Fab was dropping his head and grabbing the bit to go).

She's currently riding in a loose ring, rubber mouth snaffle and also using a running martingale.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what she could try with him? I think she's close to losing her nerve so any advice would be appreciated!!

Oh - also, he wasn't very fit and was a bit skinny when she got him, so i think him putting on condition is also affecting him wanting a good old go!!!

How about using a harbridge as it doesn't rely on the rider to deploy.

I would only say that if he respects the bit he's in when he has his head in the right place.

Last edited:
assuming now he's fittening up his saddle still fits.... then something mild like a french link hanging cheek may help keep his head at a controllable height, resorting to a standing martingale for the short term if nesessary (i hate them things but sometimes need must?)

Good sign if he's feeling well though!!

I would perhaps go for a hanging cheek snaffle.It will encourage a slight lowering of his head.He may suit a rubber pelham as he is in a rubber snaffle,but if so then use it with 2 reins and only use the curb rein as a last resort.Definitely go for a martingale though as that will help keep his head at a height where she will be able to have more control.If he also opens his mouth and you know his teeth are ok then go for a flash or grackle noseband to help prevent him from doing so.It sound like he is now feeling alot better in himself and taking advantage a bit. What sort of feed is he on? If he is on a conditioning feed then maybe it is not agreeing with him.Alot of horses tend to get alot fizzier on them.If he is now getting adequate fibre in the form of hay/haylage then cut back his feed a little and make sure he is not having anything which could be giving him too much energy.

Not sure what feed he's on to be honest but think it's more of a 'i feel good'! kind of 'bolt' rather than a true 'bolt' as such. Which is kind of not too bad a thing as at least he is gaining condition and has more energy.

Surely before you start tweaking with bits your friend should be working on practising the one rein stop so that when the sh*t hits the fan and he goes to take off, he is reminded that he cannot and should not with the slightest hint of starting the ORS. I trust mine to the end of the field and back that the ORS will not only will bring his lateral mouth and face where it should be (in my hip pocket) but also that his antics will not be tolerated.
I would go back to schooling, transitions till your blue in the face and ORS practice.

Surely before you start tweaking with bits your friend should be working on practising the one rein stop so that when the sh*t hits the fan and he goes to take off, he is reminded that he cannot and should not with the slightest hint of starting the ORS. I trust mine to the end of the field and back that the ORS will not only will bring his lateral mouth and face where it should be (in my hip pocket) but also that his antics will not be tolerated.
I would go back to schooling, transitions till your blue in the face and ORS practice.

I get this - but he took off from a walk on a road so there wasn't anyway he could have been circled to stop on one rein.

I went down the schooling route with Fab for 6 months before admitting defeat and changing bit and wish i'd done so to start with (although all horses are different so hers may school out - mine didn't!)

At the very first hint that there may be a take off in the mind of the horse, the feeling of having one rein dropped and the other taken up will strongly remind the horse that a forward move or increase in speed or a 'bolt' is not an option. Mine will turn his head around and especially from a walk, turn on a dime, or not turn at all. Just bring the head around.
As for stronger bits, I wouldn't have a clue. Personally I wouldn't know where to start and would firm up the ORS before even taking him out of the yard. But I'm an old chicken and I don't bounce. :)

newrider.com