bit advice needed

herondell

kenzo&romany
Mar 28, 2007
kent
my 16.2 warmblood x tb dont like his bit at he is in a full cheek which i tryed a few times i did have him in a loose ring frence link but he plays with that one too much but he dont like the full cheek i was looking at the happy mouths but not sure he has a light mouth as well he yanks down when out hacking i need to find him one that he is not going to play with too much and i dont want to buy loads and have a box full i know all horses are diffrent but can anyone suggest anythink.

Hmmmm!
well try a rubber snaffle if he has a light mouth and he might possibly be throwing his head down as he is unhappy with the bit, try rubber bits or you can get flavoured bits, if he has a soft mouth just investigate with different light bits, Bits can be a pain lol!

hope it is going okay
Good luck (Y)

x

Hey. What kind of bridle does he have??? My horse hates the bit. She always plays with it in her mouth if I dont have a noseband on or a flash. My bridle is a flash bridle so I have prevented my horse from playing with the bit as much as she used to purely because of the flash noseband. It works great. My horse is currently in a sweet iron french link snaffle and she loves it. The bridle works a treat. I couldnt have asked for anything better. If you dont however want to spend up to £30 buying a new flash bridle then I would consider a tasty rubber snaffle. You can choose the flavours and there isnt really much to play with. If your horse plays with the bit that much then get a straight bar rubber snaffle. It wont bend and it wont move anywhere in his mouth so he will probably get sick and tired of a bit that just sits there doing nothing. I hope this helps you. Let us know what you get and if it has improved. x x:rolleyes::eek::rolleyes::eek:

A single jointed snaffle has a nutcracker effect on the tongue, as well as possibly gouging the roof of the mouth when both reins are pulled with much force. Depending on the level and type of riding, it can be far from the 'gentlest' or most appropriate bit. That said...

It sounds like you may have a training issue rather than, or as well as the bit type. It's possible that the horse hasn't ever been properly desensitised to a bit, if he plays & fidgets with them regardless what's happening. Without knowing many details, I can only guess, but out on the trail perhaps he's eager or excitable, or wants to stop & graze & he's 'rooting' at the reins? Perhaps you're also holding the reins too firmly or constantly in anticipation & he's fighting against that? Whatever, I think this is about your effective communication with eachother, not so much what equipment you choose to help you.

I would suggest working on desensitising him to a bit - the mildest. Put the bridle on him & just let him wear it(supervised) without being hassled with pressure. Use a halter & lead if you want to do stuff with him. Don't ever take the bridle off when he's fidgeting if you can help it, but wait until he's quiet a moment or more.

*After* he's truely comfortable with it, then I'd start asking for basic stuff with the reins. Its a balancing act between reinforcing the right behaviour & not reinforcing the wrong, but as much as possible you need to also strive not to release/reinforce when he's fidgeting. I would teach him this rather than using a noseband to tie his mouth shut, effectively saying 'put up & shut up'. This way, once he's desensitised to wearing it, there's no stress for him, he can relax. Plus if later he starts to play or gape or resist again, you'll be able to 'hear' him, knowing there must be a problem, such as pain, stress, the rider, whatever.

I would be playing with him in a halter and lead in the meantime, mainly on the ground at first, to get some effective communication and leadership(you, preferably:D) happening. It will help your whole relationship, but you will also teach him to yield softly, teach or reinforce yourself for being effective, considerate, having good timing, reading him, so you will both get in tune with each other better when it comes to bits.

What I won't recommend is a bit with leverage. My share has a sensitive mouth yet he is strong and rushes, so with strong bits (he has a happy mouth double jointed dutch gag) like the dutch gag he raises his head, becomes very unbalanced and resists - especially when it is used strongly. I have found horses tend not to play with happy mouths.
He goes really well in the mouthpiece, but with leverage bits he resists usually (!) as they are just too strong. Something similar could work well for you, with a comfy, light and sensitive mouthpiece.
I would go with the mildest you can, then work on teaching him to accept the bit. But for this to happen, he must be comfy.

I know I've babbled (it's very hot, post-lunch and I'm at school) so applogies there!

Good luck

x

newrider.com