Birthday Pony!

bitsnpieces

Aug 22, 2007
Happy 5th Birthday Inca!!!!! :dance:

I cannot believe that she is 5 already!!!!! It's not been easy going but I finally feel like we're starting to get somewhere.

This is her story so far....
When Inca was 2 months old she started getting bad impaction colics, she couldn't :poop: and was looking very sorry for herself. A colic workup later and she'd perked up, but her and Puz had to be box rested so that Inca was definitely only getting milk. She went back out into the field and colicked almost straight away again.

We had seen people feeding the horses potatoes over the fence and they hadn't stopped this despite repeated requests, so I moved yards as we all thought this was a likely cause. A few months later, we weaned Inca and she colicked again, this time she was getting a swollen lump next to her bottom, the vet thought this may just be from where she was straining so hard to go to the loo.

The next day I went out to the field in the rain to find my beloved foalie flat out in the field, covered in mud and freezing cold. She'd been there a while and was really struggling, I managed to get her up and walk the 1/2 mile back to the stable yard. The lump under her tail was worse and I was petrified that she'd ruptured something, I put her back in with Puz in the hope that it would ease her stress and the milk would help give her some much needed strength.

Inca started thrashing round the stable and rubbing herself on the walls, the lump turned out to be an abcess that had been forming within her hindquarters and had got enourmous! The cavity was larger than a grapefruit, which in a 6 month old foal who has matured at 13.3hh is pretty big! She was a diamond to treat, the cavity had to be flushed out twice a day with iodine solution, I just couldn't fault her in the slightest and she didn't once complain about being on box rest yet again. She healed very quickly and very well!

Six months down the road she managed to get herself badly stuck in the electric fencing and cut up her legs, more box rest needed as this was in winter and on vet's orders we weren't to risk the wounds getting infected.

So, by the time she was just over a year old she had been through one hell of alot and I was regretting not calling her Jinx!

She went to live out in another herd for that winter before I moved in with my OH which meant a big relocation to Surrey. The yard I chose offered grass livery and had pretty experienced staff so seemed ideal. Sadly the staffing situation changed just as I made the decision to bring Inca in to be stabled and start her education, this lead to a number of major misunderstandings between her and the new staff, cue one very confused and angry young mare & one very stressed out owner!

We were there for two years (the second one being a total nightmare) and finally left as we had completed on our house purchase that meant the horses be kept at home.

Inca is now lunging and long reining like a pro, backed but needs schooling on and we're going to spend this summer tackling hacking. Her behaviour has improved so much over the last six months but we still have a way to go and hopefully by her 6th birthday I'll be able to post all about our progress :happy:

........cookies for anyone who got to the end of my essay!

wow i had no idea Inca had been through so much!!! (and you of course!)

i bet you are seriously proud of her, and also the bond you both share :)

ummmm and no birthday piccies?!!?!

Wow what a special girl, she has been through so much yet come out the otherside a little gem!

Happy birthday Inca! x

Wozzers! What a whirlwind of events! Bless!!!

Happy birthday Inca, heres to some stress free years for u both x

Thanks guys, I've lost counts of the times I cried in those first few months, once or twice she was nearly in a trailer to Newmarket for surgery assessment which would have almost certainly meant her not pulling through. I slept in her stable many a time to see if she got worse, the problem with the babies is that they go downhill in the blink of an eye!

Our main goal at the moment is to bring her on and work through the horrendous tantrums (which thankfully are much less than they used to be) but we are getting there!

Juliecwk - Being as we have a bit of sun today I'm hopefully going to update with piccies tonight :)

WOW 5..............I think its Sioned AND BERT's Birthday this month as well, will have to check, nearly forgot with wedding etc !

Where did that time go B n P :smile:

newrider.com