Big smile!

misty

Oct 6, 2016
I've been having lessons at a new riding school and have been paired with a mare - not usual for me as I tend to prefer geldings. Anyhow, I've found the last few weeks difficult and I've felt a few times like ringing and saying I can't come. My new RI has been fab and every lessons works on control and getting me and the mare to work together.

She - the mare I've been riding - does a few things that unnerve me. She naps a lot at the gate and then shakes violently when you try to move her forward. She also dances round with her back legs and when asking her to go forward, she throws her bum about sometimes and drops her head in transitions and then flings her bum a bit which makes you think she's going to buck. She hasn't - but she can do a little leg kick.

So today was my third time riding her. First I had my assessment in which I tried to canter and almost pooed myself. Second I did pony club type game type activities so I could remember why I got into riding. And today I did leg yielding and control in walk and trot. She then told me to do sitting trot for a while, changing the rein etc. Then she said she had no concern with my balance and I have a good seat so nothing this horse would do was going to unseat me so we were going to canter.

I tried not to panic and kept my good position I'd been focusing on in the sitting trot and she really started to give a good forward trot. She said she wouldn't go by the gate as she's nappy but as she got there we realised she was going to do I pushed her in and kept my hands up and as still as I could and we had a slightly unbalanced but fairly acceptable canter. After, she said what's nice is that today I've got to know the horse better and she's got to know me better and we really worked as a team for a while there. I got a huge feeling of elation - here was a horse that I couldn't say was a plod or anything and who I knew had the potential to do something but I still went ahead and pushed for it. That says a lot for my new instructor too. I grinned all the way home.

Still want a gelding though! Haha.

Awesome! Well done.

Don't be put off by a mare, necessarily :) My gelding is more sensitive, far more opinionated and far easier to offend than many mares I've met ... :D

Reactions: carthorse and misty
Well done :D I have always preferred the boys ;) but I find that once you get a mare on your side (that's the bit that takes lots of persistence) they will work incredibly hard for you and be very loyal, its worth the effort :)

Reactions: misty
Well done, you must be so pleased. Sometimes working through an issue and coming out the other side is more rewarding and builds a better partnership than just having a nice straightforward ride, I think.

Great news:D
Maybe , just maybe;), long term a plod might not meet your needs.....I've seen your riding vids and followed your posts, I hear that you say and believe you're a nervous rider but I'm not totally convinced that you are tbh! I know you feel that way but your riding is too good to match those feelings. We can all lose our confidence at any time, its happened to me to the point that I was too scared to even walk, but it does come back too with hard work and commitment to the sport we love & love to fear!. I think you might just fly soon and the plod you're looking for might just have to change description slightly;)!
Glad to hear you've found a good RI in tune with you, that key will unlock lots of doors for you

I think the same @orbvalley I don't think you're half as bad/nervous as what you think you are and have a feeling you may get bored with a plod as your confidence grows. Good to hear you're getting on at the new riding school.

Thank you all. I'm still smiling reading back and the kind positive comments. Do plods with potential exist? I guess that's how I would describe my loan cob. He was nice and laid back mostly but had the potential to step up a gear when I was ready. The more I look the more I realise he was one of a kind really - he sort of rose to the level I needed him to. When I first started riding him we were all plodding along and by the end we were chucking in a tiny book and jogging down the main road haha. I couldn't help but smile though - in the end I had to laugh at him - what a character!

newrider.com