Big bolshy yearling and handling

Sparky0207

Sparky's slave!
Nov 28, 2008
Somerset
Hello :)

I've just rescued a big foal, she is of unknown breeding but is very heavily built and currently standing around 14.2 at 10 months old!

Usually with my youngsters I get them halter trained with some very basic ground manners and then turn them out and let them be horses until they are 2 and then start handling them more until they are ready to be backed at 4 or 5.

This girl is quite bolshy, although a rescue she is quite trusting and friendly but as with a lot of youngsters, thinks she is the boss.

Has anyone got experience of handling big bolshy youngsters... should I keep her at home longer and so more work with her than I usually would or take the chance that in a year or so she may be quieter and go my usual route?

If it takes longer to get to the point she's respectful then so be it in my opinion, especially with a horse who's likely to be a whopper and able to throw all the more weight around in a year or two :)

Reactions: Sparky0207
If it takes a little more time then normal thats expected. I mean no horse is going to be the same then another just like people. It may take a while to gain that respect you need but i'd get it before you do anything else

Reactions: Sparky0207
newrider.com