Big bale fail

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I still had 2 big bales, the ones which sent my allergies crazy so I had stopped using them as handling them resulted in bleeding sinus', so on Saturday with the crappy forecast looming and needing to start a new bale I decided to put one out for the neds. I nearly killed myself rolling it out (the tiny slope is worse than it looks when you are trying to roll a 350kg bale of hay on your own :rolleyes: ). Since then I have picked up a daily semi-circle of poop from next to the bale, I don't think Jess has moved :eek: 24993256_10155886609977246_2988729203790974847_n.jpg

Sweep being in the caravan paddock/tacking up paddock etc has a whole Heston to herself lol...shes is so happy at the minute lol :) lol luckly she doesn't gorge herself ...
Haha I bets she's like a pig in Sh!t, I spent the first 24 hours worrying Jess would colic, she's coliced twice before from gorging on hay :rolleyes:

Wow that was a big bale to handel!!! Be careful, don't strain yourself.
It took me about 25 minutes to move the last 20ft :p move a bit, kick the bit of wood under to stop it rolling back, try moving, move hank out of the way, move jess out of the way, move hank again, then move a bit and put the wood under it again, repeat! :D

Reactions: Trewsers
You need a quad.
But seriously please be careful with these round bales. A farmer died when one rolled two years ago. We won't have them here, we use the long bales.

Ale used to come out of winter huge with access to these. Also a few horses every year would get impaction colic. So I'm glad he just gets what he's given now. Can you fence it off and just give her access whilst you are there?

Reactions: Jessey
Ale used to come out of winter huge with access to these. Also a few horses every year would get impaction colic. So I'm glad he just gets what he's given now. Can you fence it off and just give her access whilst you are there?
I'm not there long enough in the week, flying visit in the morning and maybe an hour at night, they don't really have access to grass so this is their main forage so that isn't enough, there is a net over it to steady their consumption a little. I only have 2 of these bales, once there gone I'll go back to putting rations out but if I handle these my allergies go nuts, not sure what's in it that bothers me but it doesn't seem to effect the horses at all.

Wonder what it is that sets you off @Jessey?
Are they treated with something like a preservative? @horseandgoatmom I am sure gets hay that is sprayed with citric acid (pretty sure I haven't dreamt that!)
I had bad enough allergies to put me in great ormand street as a kid, I think I was allergic to something like 36 of the 50 things they tested me for or something ridiculous, some worse than others and one of my worst is Rapeseed pollen, since living here I have had very little exposure as they don't grow it locally, but if I go home to my parents in summer I really know about it. This hay was brought from out of area (not all that far from mum's) and I wonder if it was cut as the rapeseed was ripening locally.

I had bad enough allergies to put me in great ormand street as a kid, I think I was allergic to something like 36 of the 50 things they tested me for or something ridiculous, some worse than others and one of my worst is Rapeseed pollen, since living here I have had very little exposure as they don't grow it locally, but if I go home to my parents in summer I really know about it. This hay was brought from out of area (not all that far from mum's) and I wonder if it was cut as the rapeseed was ripening locally.

Oh heck that isn't nice having allergies:(

13 days is how long that bale lasted  :eek: :eek: :eek: I was hoping to put the other one out so I don't have to worry about putting hay out twice a day over Xmas and moving but I think jess might actually pop!

You could if you put one of those slow feeder covers over.
I think that would feed our whole herd in that time frame!

newrider.com