BHS Stage Exams

J

jenmac_85

Ok, I admit I am being incrediably lazy in doing this but I have been studying for a couple of hours and can't be bothered to search the posts lol.

My RI asked if I was interested in doing the BHS Stage Exams, either doing 1 and 2 seperately or she might try to combine 1 and 2, depending on how things go.

Is the Road Safety Certificate Mandatory to progress on to Stage 2? Where are the testing centres for the BHS Stage exams (I am in Scotland - bordering between North and South Lanarkshire) and do they do the ridden and theory exams in teh same place or can they be held at different centres?

You cannot combine the exams as you have to pass Stage 1 and R and RS before being allowed to do Stage 2. Most people do the combined riding and care exams, particularly at Stage 1 and both sections are run on the same day at all centres.

The exam centres are listed in the BHS website, in Scotland I know there is gleneagles (probably too far north!) or you may be able to get to Blackdyke in Cumbria. Be prepared to travel as the best centres exam places fill up fast

Right
I'm doing my Stage Two next Tuesday, you have to have your riding rode saftey to progress onto that exam.
As far as i know you can't combine the two exams together. Stage One takes from 8 -1 and Two takes all day.
You can take the riding and care parts seperatly but doing so costs more. You can take them in two different centres as well.
You can find out where and when the exams are being held on the following BHS attachment under education.
www.bhs.org.uk
Hope this helps.

I think she is meaning combining the theory, then doing the exams seperately. (I think !!)

Will still need to read up on the Road test. Have hardly looked at that what so ever lol.

My main issue is that I will end up writing about horse related information in a nursing exam. I can see it coming!!!

It's really embarressing as I called one patients shin bone, their cannon bone. Poor man looked at me as if I was nuts!!

I now re-read any notes I make just in case

I would have wet myself if i'd been there.
The two subjects are conflicting slightly.
They do say there are only three or four bones different to those of a human, they are just a different way round.

hi, i did mny riding and road safety near largs...erm not ardgowan but it began with a K i'm sure and is like an estate with birds etc as well....darn why cant i remember the name:eek:

will try and look it up and get back to you:eek::D

ETA - i think it was Kelburn (ok so i just looked up RS's on the bhs website) i also think its maybe not as close to largs as i thought!

Last edited:
That would be fabulous if you could Palomino Mare.

What did you have to do for the Road Test. I have read briefly the syllabus, but like everything I like to hear it from someone who has done it lol.

I took my Stage 1 last year and am working towards my Stage 2. Personally I have preferred working on each separately rather than combining them. Just a thought.

I took the Riding and Road Safety last year too so I can tell you about that.
First there is a theory section where you sit in a room and answer ten multiple choice questions on paper. These come from the highway code.
Then you ride a simulated road route set up in a field/school marked out with poles and cones. You have to pretend you are on the road and ride/observe with regard to traffic.
The final section is out on the road, you ride a very short and simple route with examiners at set points along the way.
Overall you are being marked on whether you are safe enough to ride on the road, mainly the examiners want to see that you are riding sensibly and making correct observation so that you do not put yourself or other road users in danger.

Last edited:
newrider.com