BHS Stage 1

brendanlindsay

Novice!!!!!!
May 13, 2006
Bury, Lancashire
Hey Guys,
I'm thinking of of taking a course in the BHS Stage1. I have a little experience but not really enough (hence me thinking of this course). Its part time, i think its two hours an week - one hour riding, one hour theory and lasts for ten weeks. After this the plan would be to progress to stage two.
I'd just like to hear what you think might be advantages/disadvantages, what equipment i'll need, and if anyone's done a similar course and how they found it.
Thanks

Brendan

I think that the BHS Stage 1 course is great for anyone interested in horses. Disadvantages would be having to do everything the official BHS way which some people disagree with, and the cost of BHS exams. Personally, I've really enjoyed training for BHS exams and increasing my knowledge and practical ability.

For the course I guess you'll just need regular yard/riding clothes. For the exam you wear a shirt and tie with a plain, dark-coloured jumper or a hacking jacket. I can't think of any special equipment you'll need.

I have done my BHS exams. I would suggest getting the books that cover the courses. I found the training and exams good fun, try and get a friend to did it with you so you can test each other.
PM me if you want any more info

It's a good thing to do, but it does depend slightly on why you want to do it, to say if it is right or not. It will give you a good grounding in horse care and riding, but they are professional exams and therefore cost quite a bit of money. I don't know if Longfield do the Horse Owners certificate, but if you are looking to just increase your knowledge of horse care, then that might be the route to go instead.

Having said that I thoroughly enjoyed doing my Stage 1 and want to do my 2 now.

I done mine last year but i would of preferred to of spent the money on private lessons and asked the instructor to teach me specific things. The theory was pretty poor on my course i hardly got any notes and nothing worth writing down. The lessons were ok but then you only got 10 mins really spent on yourself. I know a bit about horses so it wasnt exactly a new learning curve for me but it would be handy if you dont own a horse.

Hi, this course i feel is definately worth it. I've just started it and am thoroughly enjoying it. You don't HAVE to take the exam at the end of it, it depends (as others have said) WHY you are doing it.

Bhs1

What exactly does this course entail? I would love to eventually qualify as a basic instructor but haven't really any idea about BHS. Do you have to go to a specific yard or does someone come to your own yard to examine you? I have a full loan of a crabby TB mare so am getting plenty of experience!:)

What exactly does this course entail? I would love to eventually qualify as a basic instructor but haven't really any idea about BHS. Do you have to go to a specific yard or does someone come to your own yard to examine you? I have a full loan of a crabby TB mare so am getting plenty of experience!:)

To become an instructor you need to go through the BHS exam system, if you look on their website you can see which exams you need to do to become a BHSAI. The exams are all held at riding schools/centres/colleges. Stage one is basic horse care and riding. I'm working through my stages at the moment and am really enjoying it.

I agree with Jembo15, the books are well worth having. I didnt follow a course for my stage one, I used the books and worked through the syllabus on my own, and asked an experienced friend who has done her stages to watch me ride and go through the riding syllabus with me.

newrider.com