BHS stage 1 and 2 etc

fimonkey

Oct 5, 2005
hi All,

I've decided to go ahead and do my stage 1 course and exam and wondered which books and aids and videos and myriad other things you found useful? I know the BHS stage 1 book is obligatory, but then ther are also course notes, and a VHS video/DVD.... do I need them all? Any other books helpful?

Thanks in advance

If you are doing a formal course than you don't really need anything. If teaching yourself one of the course books like Isla Aughty is essential but I usually suggest people buy the BHS Horse care manual as it will do for all stages and tell them what parts to study.

The Video/DVD is again useful if you are doing it on your own to get some idea of the format of the exams but most training centres will hold mock exams for you to practice at

Eml, would you reccommend doing it on your own? I was considering doing it on my own as I wouldn't have the time to do it somewhere else?

I didn't get on well with the Islay Auty (official BHS training manual) book at all - there were too many gaps in the information. I wouldn't buy it - I have used just the Hazel Reed books for my exams (alongside training!) and would choose these instead!

I usually recommend an assessment at a training centre to point out any basic faults, lots of practice at home, study the books (Pony Club Manual is good for this level as well) and practice the practicals as if you were dealing with a strange horse. Ideally ride as many horses as possible particularly the more 'staid' ones and have a final practice ideally at the centre you are taking the exam at.

I did the stage 1 course just a couple of months ago, not much in it. Basic riding skills, mucking out, points of the horse, checking tack for fit, rugging up, tail bandages (have to put one on), grooming (know your brushes), bits, feeding how much, i.e per weight, how much work horse is in, what is in the feed, i.e oats, barley, bedding, why you would use it, its purposes.

I have done up to my Stage 3 (incl BHSAI) and I would really recommend that with hard work, and practical experience (ie hands on experience) is worth its weight in gold. Examiners respect those who speak up, clearly and confidently and those who talk from experience. Rather than learning books in a parrot fashion manner. Although a few books are needed to learn the theory.
If you have the dedication and an opportunity to learn and practice with horses I believe anyone can do it on their own. Good luck to everyone taking the exams. xx

The Islay Autay book is next to useless as it just repeats what you can read for yourself on the BHS syllabus.

The Hazel Reed books provide lots of detail in an understandable way. The BHS Student workbook (with the red spine) is also useful for practising exam questions.

I like the Hazel Reed books too! I combined self-taught with a few sessions at the exam centre, to get used to the horses I would likely ride.
Riding school horses again has been the hardest part of the course. All the private owners on my course have struggled.

Absolutely!! Although my mare can be tricky to ride at times, I've got used to the buttons to press. I love RS horses, but they can be a very different kettle of fish.

On my Stage 2 course last week we had to assess 2 different horses, and it was a struggle to find anything positive to say about 1 of them. No outline, rhythm, balanced itself adequately, bent at the withers only, zero impulsion (needed kicking to do anything), tempo was just weird and no suppleness. The new saddle on it was nice though!

newrider.com