BHS Horse owners certificate Exam

l7oopys

Whoooo Pat!
Jun 16, 2006
Oswestry, Shropshire
Hi All,

I did my BHS Horse Owners certificate exam last night (level one)
It was easy peasy!

If anyone is due to take the exam soon i will be happy to tell them the types of Q's in the paper!

Lou x

Oh, please don't say its easy - I'm probably taking mine on Tuesday evening and I'm just hoping I'll pass (if I fail now you've said its easy I'll cry!).

Just out of interest are you a horse owner? Or have you had much experience of looking after horses? I'm very new to it all and just the mountain of stuff I have to read scares me.

Well done on passing.

I have a horse on loan. I have been riding and looking after horses for about 14 years! I have done an nvq and pony club tests that were all harder that BHS Horse owners level one.

Level one was very simple.
Example of Questions:

Name 10 points of the horse
name 5 parts of the bridle
name 7 parts of the saddle
name 5 signs of good health
whats the temp, pulse and resp of horses
name 6 rules of feeding
name 2 rules of watering
how often should you worm?
How often should you shoe?

There were 30 questions like the above. The 4 Big questions worth more points where you had to write about a page on!

these were something like:

1} What points should you consider when deciding to buy a horse
2} what should you look for in a field for 4 horses
3} what is the process of grooming a field kept horse (name brushes/uses and what you wouldnt use and why)
4} what is the process for cleanig abridle and what do you check for.

i would be interestedin doind a BHS exam can anyone explain it to me and were all the info i would need to lern (as only know one of the aouve questions!

How often should you shoe?

All the info is on the BHS website!
Horse Owners exams are all paper worn and no practical.
There are ots of types of exams you can do!

If you are young, The pony club is a great way to learn! They have training and pony club teste that are recognised world wide!

Oh rite! i thought you hadto have one! lol im on the BHS site and for stage one:

The Stage examinations include a Riding and Stable Management section, which can be taken together on the same day or separately. The complete qualification will not be awarded until both sections have been successfully achieved.

newrider.com