BHS/horse courses available for..

NuttyMare

Woody Be Mine
Aug 5, 2003
England
s7.invisionfree.com
I am currently 14 and am looking to get some BHS qualifications/horse qualifications under my belt to increase my resume so to speak, before I go to a college at the age of 16. Reason being as it increases my chance of a scholarship, as the college has an equine part to it.

What ones can I take at this age? The only ones that spring to mind are the Horse Owners Certificate, Riding and Road Safety and Stage 1 I think? Anymore?

I'm sure the BHS do a series of "Progressive Tests" for people who are too young to take the Stage exams. Have you tried the bhs website? Or maybe asking at your riding school?

The Pony Club also run tests, if you are/could become a member - and it would probably look good to have on your CV that you were involved in the pony club! I can't think of any other tests atm but I'm sure some more knowledgeable people than me will be able to answer!

ETA: I just went on the bhs website (www.bhs.org.uk) and I can't find anything about the progressive tests - did I just make that up? Anyone?

But you can take the Stage 1 - the minimum age is 14. It's probably the best option, because it's more practical-based than the Horse-Owner's Certificate.

Last edited:
newrider.com