BHS exam advice- I am happy to answer any questions!

Charlie76

Apr 24, 2006
Berkshire
www.hall-place.com
If anyone has any questions regarding BHS exams then feel free to PM me or post them on here and I will try my best to answer them. I have contacts with some of the BHS examiners and I also have my BHS Stages 1,2,3,4 complete, PTT, Riding and Road Safety, Int Teaching and Stable Managers. I am training towards my E & T so could help with that as well.

Feel free to ask- its tests my brain and keeps me thinking! I am running training courses at the moment so it helps to keep me focused.

Anything from what to wear to the questions they may ask.

Hi!! :)
Did my BHS Stage 1 exam on Wednesday 11th March and i was soooo nervous although quite excited :p because i was soooo nervous i seemed to forget some little points and i messed up a few answers in the practical/practical oral sections as the examiners weren't very clear about what they wanted and i feel i could have done far better in the riding - i only have 1 Pony, nobody seemed to want to help me prepare for my exam at my yard and once id told them i was doing my exam they didnt ask me to ride their Horses, and i could only manage 1 riding lesson on Horses unfamiliar to me @ the yard i do my stable management training at - i have been told i am way above the level but i dont think i showed that during my exam :( a couple of the people were actually from the centre we were doing the exam at and they knew the Horses and rode well from what i could see, so i think it made me look really bad in front of the examiner :( plus when they asked me the colour i should have said the Horse was ageing and i could tell that because she was fleabitten grey with dapple grey patches on her hocks and at the back of her knees, but instead i said she was either classed as fleabitten grey or skewbald :confused: i also messed up when they asked me the type of bit and noseband although i did get it right in the end (i hope :p).
Do you think i will pass and when do you think i will be getting my results as i was hoping to get them friday but they didnt come and it sounds really silly but ive been sooo nervous that ive not been feeling well, ive not been able to eat properly and ive found it hard to sleep - i have been around Horses/Ponies all my life and i knew a lot more than some of the others in my group but i was so nervous i didnt feel i had the oppurtunity to show my knowledge. Plus we are not well off and it was really hard for my Parents to pay for this exam, and i would certainly not want to dissapoint them or any of my Family or Friends who all believe i could do it.
Any info. or advice would be greatly appreciated - Thank You!!
Lizzi~Beth
xxxx

Forgive me if any of my questions are silly or just...ignorant, I just moved here from the U.S. and I'm interested in getting some BHS qualifications (I am unexpectedly possessing some extra free time and would like to fill it with horsey stuff!). Where/how do I get the training? If I already know the book/stable knowledge (parts of horse, how to wrap, vet care) and am a competent rider, do I just sign up? If I don't have my own horse (sigh), what do I do? Unfortunately, I'm fairly sure the yard I'm able to get to for lessons is not BHS certified, would that make a difference?
Thanks so much! I've been curious...

Well thats just great! i'm planning for stage 2 this november & recently thought no... i'm too busy to do & study for exams. Could be moving house not that it should really put me off :p

I'm wondering just how much in the way of practical things do you do need to do for stage 2? 'Home ed here' confident rider but not the same as being at college learning the ways the BHS love to see it. :rolleyes: (like we carry it through anyway, i.e having them tied up in stable, who does that really?)

They gave me a mark in stage 1 for saying the numnah was slightly too big! She did ask! Thats well tight! It was massive & i was just being over careful because they kind of make you that way!

Hi!
lizzie-beth- I think you should be fine. They allow for you being a little nervous. As long as your answers were correct and you could give a reasonable explination for your answers you will be fine- let me know when you find out!:)

Jennie rose- you can do your BHS training at home or at a BHS Where to train yard. To do your exams you will need to be a BHS gold member .
Visit www.bhs.org.uk to see more information. You can teach without being a qualified instructor but people do tend to go with either an instructor who is qualified or some one who has a good competition track record. Once you have gained your BHSAI you can go on the register of instructors which give you a listing on the BHS website and also insurance which you MUST have to teach.

With regards to the Stage 2 for the practical section you will need to knwo what you knew at Stage 1 plus more. You will need to know how to remove a shoe and demonstrate it using the correct tools. You don;t actually take it off but need to know how.
You will need to know more about feeding.
You need to be able to lunge for exercise using and checking the correct equipment.
You will need to be able to point out the skeleton and digestive system.
You do need to show that you are practical and quick (as well as safe) when preparing the horse for travel and tacking up.
Stage 2 is a nicer exam to take as you have to know things in more depth.
With regards to the riding the jumping is approx 2ft 6.

Hi!! :D
Just to let you know, i passed all the way through with only one cross for being hesitant in answering a question on the type of noseband (because i was sooo nervous :p lol)
Thank you for your help - Onto Stage 2 now!! :D
Lizzi~Beth
xxxx

(p.s Am i meant to have £100 cashback for passing? :p I was told i should if i passed all sections but i havent seen any info regarding that :p lol - Thanks again!! :D)

Belle:

Re your PTT.
I have been on the BHS website. If you go to the training section and found this:
http://www.bhs.org.uk/DocFrame/DocView.asp?id=1222
You can scroll down and find the subjects for each lesson plan and the lecture subjects.
If you click on here:
http://www.bhs.org.uk/DocFrame/DocView.asp?id=1649
There is a format to fill in for each of the lessons you are expected to teach.

If you click on here:
http://www.bhs.org.uk/_Attachments/Resources/1650_S4.pdf
It tells you what to expect to include in your lecture.

I hope thats of use!

newrider.com