Best winter riding gloves

Newhorsemom

Nov 12, 2016
Hi I'm new here and wondering what are some good winter riding gloves for my daughters? We live in Michigan and our winters get pretty cold. Any recommendations?

If I lived in the USA I would buy American gloves as right for your climate. I love American clothes -
Here in UK I bought a particular type of Roekl - German - which were the best buy in Horse and Hound a UK magazine that year.
Others here ride in sealskinz a brand made for cyclists.

Reactions: Newhorsemom
I have quite a few pairs of inexpensive jersey dot gloves and around the barn etc I put hand warmers in and
when feeding etc if its wet out I put a pair of surgical gloves on inside to keep my hands dry.
I use those a lot for riding too.
I bought a pair of real riding winter riding gloves cant remember which ones.
They did hold a hand warmer pouch in them though.
Some gloves are so thick in the fingers and constricting to try to hold the reins well
I would go to a tack shop and also try a ski shop as well and try on LOTS of them
to see which ones fit good to hold the reins and not have them slip- if your in ski shop.

I would not recommend ordering any online until you have tried and found ones that work well for you.

If you go to a ski shop take a pair of reins with you - it sounds stupid but something that might seem good
maybe quite different when your holding reins.

Reactions: Newhorsemom
I wear MacWet climatec gloves for riding in winter BUT they may not be warm enough for your climate, best for around the yard, well I used to love sealskinz, but last year found a pair of ski mittens and have been totally thrilled that they actually do keep my hands warm, even warmer than my sealskinz.
I hate having cold extremities and have also found that if I shove my riding gloves down the front of my breeches while I'm tacking up they are warm before I start my ride which always helps.

I have a pair of Thinsulate deerskin gloves with a thermal Thinsulate lining. I can't fault them even in snow (although we rarely get snow here). I've had them for four years and they're still going strong. They cost me 16 British pounds. Not sure what that is in dollars but they're definitely worth it.

I love my Sealskiz. Warmest gloves I've ever had. And even better they were a gift so cost me nothing!

What type of Sealskinz gloves do you have..I got 2 pairs and the fit isn't the best, I haven't tried them out yet but I don't think i will be able to ride with them on, probably end up just using them around the yard. I think i got the wrong ones from what everyone else has been talking about:oops: I got the ultra grip glove with merino wool, I got a black pair and a hiviz pair.

Don't know which type they are.
They have like a fleece lining inside. They are a bit 'chunky' but as I don't do anything too taxing anyway, I am just happy tat they keep my hands warm.

Ssg are great or I have a pair of rabbit skin gloves (fur and all) for when its ridiculously cold out, but the skin is a bit soft for much work, deer skin is far better for chores and good if you can get the wool lined ones :)

I went into 'Big R' in the states and tried them, deer skin is actually really fine, even the unlined ones protect your hands and keep them warm and dry, though I don't suffer terribly with cold hands.

I have neoprene woof wear glovesfor the winter which I love and if it gets really cold I just put a pair of cheap fluffy gloves over the top. Might not be warm enough for you though.

newrider.com