Best way to put up a tail for winter?

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
I am thinking of 'putting up' Kiki's tail this winter because it gets disgusting. A few years ago I did it with Shay's, I plaited it and then taped it up but every time I undid it, it pulled a load of hair out, and as Kiki is an Appy she is lacking a little in the hair department.

Are tail bags any good?

I need same help. I've already cut his poor tail to just below his hocks which looks horrific (it's meant to be floor length!), but that's what caused his mud fever last yr so can't take any chances. then I've plaited it, being very thick it's got about 4 plaits all on top if one another! Again horrific, but it lifts it just that little bit more. After that I don't know what else to do with it.

I've doused mine in mane & tail to make it soft and plaited it. Both mine get manky, on particular bad days where field is a quadmire I loop it up and put a bandage on it for a couple of hours

I have cut nearly a foot off mine to keep his tail clean in the past. It looks wrong on a hairy, feathered cob, but its the only way. I do also use pig oil on it which does help to keep it a bit cleaner.

I'm with you Anna, my boy's tail is practically black right now (he's a blondie). Its that horrible time of year when he looks like a bog pony, but hell, he's quite happy as he is. I should probably consider putting some pig oil on it at some point but the snow will clean it up.
Can appreciate those who need to do something to it to avoid mud fever and the likes but otherwise I'm not sure why I'd bother?

Mine has a great clump of god knows what that swings about on his tail.
Going to pig oil hiim this weekend. Also moving to the winter paddock so slightly less muddy.
If I needed to show or hunt etc I'd be tail bagging and all sorts.

I'm not bothered at all what he looks like cosmetically, 2 winters ive left him au natural & his rail has gradually solidified & glued together with solid rock hard baubles of mud. It's his health I need to do it for, the weight of the gritty wet heavy tail swishing constantly in his 'shins' (?) caused really bad sores last yr (ie then mud fever).

She will be getting pig oil on it, as she does anyway throughout the year, but I might want to take her out in public, and having no water on tap and no electricity I would like to make my life as easy as possible.

We just leave them loose and long, we do rough trim so not on floor now and again and once a week go through with the canter spray and then a spray of alva barrier - we do the manes once a week - no trimming though - will just sort them all out properly come spring.

newrider.com