Best way to help my poor mares feet :'(

jennyec

Oct 15, 2007
My new forest mare has always been barefoot, trimmed by my farrier, however i was convinced to use an ep (equine podiatrist) and so did, but basically shes totally wrecked her feet, by taking far far too much off.

About 2 weeks after the "trim" she was lame (when ridden not when in the field or just walking etc), shes been shod on the front feet which have sorted her front feet out, and with her back feet ive been waiting for them to grow as there isnt enough hoof to get shoes onto :( she was just walking on her soles.

This was about 2/3 weeks ago so tried to ride today (on advice of farrier), did 10 mins work before she was struggling again, i felt it immediatly as she tries to walk on her "tip toes" on her back feet, as the frog is being pushed onto the floor.

Turned her out today, when i brought her in she was obviously uncomfy on her back feet, and the frog and back part of the foot is sore and swollen.

My plan is to put padding on the foot sole and vet wrap them both (just waiting for my farrier to ring back to chat to him) but does anyone else have any other advice? Or any experience of this kind of thing before?

Ive been washing/cleaning her frog to keep in infection free as its on the floor.

Shes a tough cookie and if doesnt seem to be bothering her, bless her, shes still tucking into her hay etc! But i just feel awful, tryed to help her by using the proper foot person and just made it worse!

Oh and im planning to put her on a hoof suppliment (biotin) to help her foot growth.

Jenny

Hi !
If your mare's always been barefoot, just wondered why you were so quick to shoe her (on the fronts) ?
Have you considered getting hoof boots for her instead ? I think there are inserts or hoof pads available too which could help her sore hinds.
Have a nosey in the barefoot section and there should be a bit more info for you there.
Best of luck ! :)

If she didn't go lame until 2 weeks after the trim, are you sure that's what caused it? I would have expected the horse to go lame straight after if it was something to do with the trim:confused:

If your horse has always been barefoot then I agree with the above poster. I would invest in a good pair of boots and pads to help make her more comfy in the mean time.

Am I understanding this right that she went lame 2 weeks after the trim? If the trim was the problem you'd expect to see something a lot sooner than 2 weeks, generally more like almost straight away. How was she straight after the trim?

If she was sore straight after the trim and the person you used is an EP that's registered with either EPAUK or with IIEP (or whatever exactly it is, the ones that call themselves 'DAEP' now), please let them know what's happened. If the trim EPs do is done correctly this kind of thing shouldn't happen because its a really non-invasive trim, so if you got a numpty doing it all wrong please let them know.

Edited 'cos I forgot.. if you can get solemate pads they are great, just duct tape onto feet. If you can't get them quickly then nappies or camping mats. Unless she was sore straight after the trim I'd suggest keeping in and getting vet out asap in case there's something more going on.

ditto the hoof boots. For the time being I would try frog supports or until then (dont laugh - it works) a rolled up sock inside a nappy is a great tempoary frog support! hope shes better soon

newrider.com