Best turnout rug for big shoulders/chest (cob)

Rosie1994

Jun 16, 2007
Can anyone advise a good turnout rug either medium or heavy weight for my cob. Shes 14.3hh but is normally a 6'3" rug and even then some are just too tight across the chest. So prefer something with shoulder darts and not a full neck. Would quite a like a high neck, but not a full neck cover. She has a Derby house one thats a couple of years old, so am thinking of getting another of their own brand. I''ve tried a premier equine one and that was too tight across the chest.

i have a h/w irish cob and i find the mark todd range to be brilliant, nice and deep down the body and generous darts and room across the chest, This is the first rug i have had for her that doesnt leave rub marks

Never had much success with chest expanders, but they are better than too tight rugs. My cob is built like a tank and I have the Rambo Xcel in a lightweight and middleweight and a removable neck. Fal do an extra depth neck on some rugs which adds another 3'' to the neck size. The Xcel rugs have been brilliant for him, just wish they did a lightweight stable rug for after he's been freshly clipped.

Thanks, I have got a couple of chest extenders that I use on a couple of old rugs, but just think its time for a new one this winter. Will have a look at your suggestions.

My horse is a WB cross and has huge shoulders. I always buy Jumpers Horse Line which fit him brilliantly. (Same as Mark Todd but without the added cost for the name)!

I use Shires rugs and find they fit very nicely- not too expensive either. Mark Todd are ok but sometimes not roomy enough in the chest and Masta i find too generous sometimes and they can rub my boys shoulders.

My Highland x Clydesdale was in a Masta check tech. It had a neck but you do get ones without.
SUNP0010.jpg

I had it on the 2nd tightest hole so it had heaps more room to offer if needed.

I've been having exactly the same problem :rolleyes:
I've got some nice shires HW combo's for my 2 ( MW irish cob and a MW sec C) for when its really cold but couldn't find for the life of me a nice fitting lw or mw without a neck, I've tried loads!
Eventually found the masta checktech and its an amazing fit in a lw :)

This one is the best rug I have EVER seen ..............(It fits beautifully, its elasticated around the shoulder and is made very very well. would def recommend. I just bought the 170 standard)
http://www.equestrianclearance.com/matchmakers/masta_dynamix_full_neck_standard_turnout_rugs/

I have found Weatherbeeta, Masta, and Amigo fit my Andalusian well and he has a lot up front:rolleyes: Good luck Mel x

Does he have much of a wither? If so I'd avoid Shires & Masta - they rubbed my old cob's withers :( Fal are brilliant but pricey, I'm now a big fan of Treadstone rugs for big chests ;)

premier equine! i have a highland x who has big shoulders and they fit brilliantly, best rug ive ever had! friend also has an irish draught and they fit him very well also :)

shes the bay hossy

newzealandpictures142.jpg

weatherbeeta freestyles fit her quite well too but not the standard WB'S

Masta i've found are small made?? bought her a 6ft which is her usual size and was wayyyy too small

never had a shires so cant comment :)

Last edited:
newrider.com