best time to put my mare into foal?

cluelessmolly

Apr 13, 2005
i am thinking about putting my mare into foal and was wondering what is the best time of year to do so?

as far as i know this would be her first foal and she is 12 years old

thanks

ideally foals should arrive between march (still quite cold) and july time, (imo anyway) that way its nice weather for them when they arrive and it gives them time to mature and grow before it gets cold, so count back 11 months from somewhere in between! if its any help, kaiser was born 29th of june, and he was the last one on the stud to arrive!:)

Also remember that they may foal late - particularly with a first foal.

Average gestation is 340 days. Best time to aim for is to cover from late April onwards otherwise it may be pretty chilly when on foal watch.

Peri was covered 11th/12th May, due 17th/18th April, foaled 2nd May. even then it was freezing the night Belle was born (literally - was about zero degrees when she popped out. )

In about two months id say. What is your mare and what stallion do you have in mind?

i would put her in foal in may. the foal will be born in april, so you avoid really cold nights but he foal grows up over the summer. if the foal is born in july it grows up in the colder weather, and can mature slower need more care etc.

My vet is coming in a weel to scan flo and hopefully we are going for beggining of april. We are starting early as its her first foal. If she doesnt take first time i will leave it for a few seasons then try again so we have plenty of time, i would prefer an early foal to a late one!

Good luck with foaling, im SO excited about mine!

newrider.com