Best small 4x4?

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
I love my VW Polo & have only ever driven small hatchback town cars, but I now live in a rural village, 20 miles away from my yard (which is down a 4 mile single semi concrete-semi farmers track) is beginning to take a toll on my car.

This winter has been quite tough - I've struggled to get out of my village in occasion & definitely had to abandon my car en route to the yard more than once, so I'm now beginning to consider a small 4x4.

I commute about 40 miles a day, I have to park in a busy work car park - so I'm looking for something small (for a 4x4!), relatively economical & that I can park in a supermarket during busy times but still be capable of remote tracks in bad weather.

It doesn't need to tow - we have a Discovery 4 for that.

So, has anyone got any suggestions? I've been looking at the Toyato Rav4 and the Suzuki Jimny.

I'm not really a car person at all ... It's the one type of shopping I hate :D

We have a rav4. It's very easy to drive and comfy. Toyotas are known for their reliability too.

But, make sure whatever you buy isn't a permenant 4WD, but a 2WD+4. Otherwise you'll drain your finances in petrol/diesel.

One car I do like is the Nissan qashqui+2 ... Worth a look at too. The jimneys are supposed to be economical but they scare me with how tall but narrow they are!

Friend had a 4X4 Panda that she loved, She sold her top of the range Saab in favour of it. She was a top Oil executive, she kept a Range Rover in case she needed to drive other posh nobs about, but for every day in Aberdeenshire she pootled about in her Panda

Reactions: Trewsers
One of my neighbours has a Panda - and they never struggle in winter! I think they're a great option for a smaller four wheel drive.

Thanks guys :) Some options I hadn't even heard of - so I'll do some investigating!

Dads offered me the Discovery on an as and when basis ... I told him I'drather abandon my car down the lane every day, than drive that again :D I think he realises car shopping for me, means he'll have to be involved ...!

Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
newrider.com