Best size horse? or shouldn't it matter??

Moonrider

Apr 12, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi,

I've been riding for about 4 months now and have ridden 4 different horses. The first horse was massive (not sure what size but would guess at least 17hh), but a complete plodder who i only rode for first 2 lessons. Then i was put on a 15.1hh horse, who i began to learn cantering on. Unfortunately he was sold, but the next horse i rode i absolutely fell in love with and really enjoy riding her - she too was approx 15.1hh (these are guesstimates lol).

I have really learnt alot on her and felt good cantering etc. but she has now gone lame, so last lesson i was on yet another horse, who i would say was about 16.1hh. I felt like she was really strong and pulling on the reins the whole time, then when she started cantering it felt so powerful and fast i promptly fell off!! :D

I was wondering if she is just too big for me? I'm only 5 ft 2" and quite petite, so should i be on a less powerful horse? The RI said that she was the next step up for me, which i can understand. i am looking forward to riding her again, but am feeling wary of cantering - which i'm so annoyed about because i was feeling so confident before!

Any tips for riding bigger horses that have bigger strides? Apparently she wasn't going any faster just covering more ground - felt faster to me though!!

If you're still reading thanks and any advice or suggestions appreciated :)

Size really isn't the issue - find a horse that is well balanced and responsive to the aids - it will make it much easier to learn on - when your riding is becoming second nature then you can move onto more difficult and less balanced horses and know how to get the best out of them.

I don't think size should necessarily matter. Even a 14HH pony that's strong and pulls is always going to win a battle of strength.

Hope you find one that suits.

It took me a while to get used to riding a 16.2 after never being on anything taller than a 14.2, the strides feel much bigger and sometimes feel like you're getting thrown out the saddle but what I did was try and put more weight on my heels and try and push myself into the saddle to keep sitting to the canter, if that makes sense! After a couple of times I actually enjoyed riding him because his paces felt lovely and smooth after a quick-paced pony and also a giant cob type also of about 16.2 but had more of a pony feel....at the moment I wouldn't ride anything over about 15hh though as I'm not used to it and think that getting back into riding plus getting used to big strides as well would probably be a disaster lol. Maybe have another lesson on this horse to end on a good note and go back to riding a smaller horse until you feel more confident? or you could just keep riding this horse to get used to riding horses that size all the time.

As a 5ft 7 inch heavy adult I've ridden varrying heights from 17hh2 down to icyrider's mare who I think is 13hh2 :confused:

Of those some of the larger ones have felt less capable than my favourite 2 which was my own 14.3hh welsh sec d (of course!) and icyrider's icelandic who would have no problem p***ing off with me as she barely noticed I was there! I'd read about the awsome power of the icelandic but my god for me to feel insignificant at my weight really is something :eek:

Anyway, the moral of this story is that it isn't a height issue, there's so much more to it than that :)

Thanks for the quick replies!

I had a feeling it was my inexperience that was the problem, rather than the size! Either way my arms ached like hell the next day lol

I'm really hoping that my regular horse is better for next lesson, but if not and i ride the bigger one again i am going to try a canter and try and sit back in the saddle more as you say and get my heels down! Hopefully i will manage to stay on, i suppose i will feel a better sense of acheivement if i manage to do it - but if my horse is better i won't be complaining :D

I have a hack booked for next week rather than a lesson, so the RS will choose a plodder for me :eek: am hoping to get a canter while out to boost my confidence again! Apparently i'm quite a nervous rider - this is what my RI said after the last lesson - although i did get straight back on after my fall. Also, although i had said i didn't want to canter that lesson as i was abit shaken, the horse had other ideas (due to the whip in her peripheral vision i think!) and took off without being asked twice - which ironically i managed to sit and bring back to trot.

Sorry to rant, but you know how it is - the ups and downs of learning! :D:D:D

I'm 5ft 1 and I occasionally ride a 16.1/16.2hh mare who I don't feel short on, she actually takes up my leg ok as she isnt a really cobby type & I feel very comfortable on her, cantering/jumping is very smooth & easy to ride but trot is bouncier. I also ride a 14.2/14.3hh mare who is a HW cob type and again I feel ok on her as she's probably the right height for me & shes very round so takes up my leg nicely. However her canter is extremely bouncy & I do struggle to sit to it, but her trot isn't & I can happily trot round on her without stirrups whereas I cant on the horses :eek:. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the fact she trots slower & takes shorter strides :confused:. & I prefer a horse canter as the strides are longer. Although I could get away with shorter HW/cobby ponies I feel better on something at least 14.2hh. I think the horse I feel best on is the 15.1hh I've been riding for the last few lessons though, as with the 16 hander her canter is smooth but her trot is quite bouncy. Its wierd really :confused:. I personally find canter much easier on horses & trot easier on a cob/pony. I'm a strange one though :eek:. I find horses seem to canter in slow motion, they cover more ground but it feels much slower and easier to go with as the strides are longer so its much less bouncy. Just relax, and go with it :). If you need to hold the front of the saddle with one hand then do until you feel used to it & more comfortable with it. I used to really fear cantering & had huge confidence issues with it to the point of shaking when I heard the word in a lesson, until I gave up holding on, got on the 16 hander & just did it, from then on when I realised it was far less bouncier when I let go & just went with the horse it became my favourite pace as its really comfortable when you get used to it, and i really enjoyed it, its far easier than trot ;). Dont know why I spent so long making a fuss about it :eek:. Just go for the horse you feel best on, & go for it :D Nothing wrong with only riding ponies, likewise with horses, all that matters is you feeling confident & in control so you enjoy it :).

It's good to know someone my size (or even a little smaller!) can ride the bigger horses and enjoy it! Hopefully if i have a couple more lessons on her i will get used to it :) .....i'm actually quite intrigued to see if i think it's comfier like you say, think i might ask if i can ride her again and if i still don't enjoy it then leave it awhile and gain somemore experience then try again :D

I have a pic if it helps,
006-Copy-2-1.jpg

I think I look ok on her (she's 16.1/2hh).

Saying that everyones different, just go with what you feel happiest on & dont listen to anyone who tells you otherwise. I used to ride a 13.3hh, I was not happy, so uncomfortable & I felt silly on him, but people my height/build got on & felt fine... its an individual thing, theres no right or wrong I don't think (the only issue ever crops up is weight as that is more important than your height.) If you are light enough to, you could even get away with a 12 -13hh at your height, possibly even a LW built. A well mannered 16.2 on the other hand - equally fine :). Just go with what you think, experiment & see what suits you best :). Have a go on a variety of horses & see what you feel best on :).

Last edited:
Thanks that's really helpful :) you look fine on her! She doesn't look too big at all - and she's lovely! I might try and get my friend to video me so i can see how i look riding her as well becuase i've always been curious anyway to see if i just look like i'm bouncing around lol :D:D

No problem :) I'm raiding photobucket atm anyway so I thought I'd add on some more pics as a comparison for horse sizes vs rider incase its any help :)

15.2hh cob
DSCN0074-2-1-1.jpg

14hh

063-1.jpg

13.3hh pony :eek:

21000422a1314940438b121139062l.jpg

Remember build has alot to do with it also - if you're lighter than me build wise you'll look better on smaller ones than I do. :eek:

I'm around 5'4, and my horse is around 14.3hh and a dream to ride. She's easy, responsive and very good at building confidence in a rider. I also train a 13.3hh pony who is stubborn, willful, difficult to steer and lacks manners. He really provides a challenge. The difference between my horse and him is he's only 4 and mine's a 27 year old ex-riding school horse.

I don't think it's a size thing; it's a training thing.

Hi,
Well I've been riding for about 2 years now aprrox and I'm 5'5, 7 stone, and my r/s horse is a 15 somthing.

Really though i think it's about weight, I think i'm the perfect size for my horse as shes pretty light (and i am too) she has the same build as TB.
x

I've just gone from loaning a 16hh eventer type to owning a 14hh fine newforest. Iwas finding the pony much harder at first as I haven't ridden ponies in years. He felt really bouncy and I was quite unbalanced, whereas my loan horse had a long smooth stride. I think it's just what you're used to.

newrider.com