Best price bubblewrap?

It failed, I think velcro may be better (until it gets full of muck), or a strap over the back. I feel terrible for her, she's stomping non stop. I fenced them up the top end in the shade where there are less flies for this afternoon, and slathered her in fly cream but it only seems completely effective for about 10 minutes :(

I feel so bad for Jess at the moment, the wither has resolved but the hip is slightly sore again. I rode last night to see if it would walk off, she is 98% sound but I can't tell which leg she's lame on though it doesn't appear to be her feet which is good, I think its left fore but the only ouchy bit is the right hip. A couple of days of bute and praying the man meant to come and top my field this week shows up, I'm hoping that will help by giving the stable flies less to hide in.
I spoke with my vet and we're at a bit of a loss as to what else to try for her, given her reaction to Deosect the vet advised I stay away from all permethrin's, which only really leaves the naturals and DEET which I haven't been having much luck with :(
Jess is fine in herself, not presenting as grumpy or miserable and was very game on our ride last night, it appears all this is bothering me more than her.

I feel so bad for Jess at the moment, the wither has resolved but the hip is slightly sore again. I rode last night to see if it would walk off, she is 98% sound but I can't tell which leg she's lame on though it doesn't appear to be her feet which is good, I think its left fore but the only ouchy bit is the right hip. A couple of days of bute and praying the man meant to come and top my field this week shows up, I'm hoping that will help by giving the stable flies less to hide in.
I spoke with my vet and we're at a bit of a loss as to what else to try for her, given her reaction to Deosect the vet advised I stay away from all permethrin's, which only really leaves the naturals and DEET which I haven't been having much luck with :(
Jess is fine in herself, not presenting as grumpy or miserable and was very game on our ride last night, it appears all this is bothering me more than her.

It's Jess that reacts to the deosect isn't it? I have some and will only use it sparingly and when desperate. I used it (as instructed by the vet) on Chloe to help the itching / feather mites. But being honest, it only really does a bit, I don't think it clears them up completely (nothing does). Such stinky stuff isn't it? I sponged it onto Zi during the patch of hot weather we had - to deter the flies and I think it helped a bit, but I am loathe to bother with it.
Glad Jess is fine in herself - but it's frustrating and worrying when you don't know exactly what is what.

It's Jess that reacts to the deosect isn't it? I have some and will only use it sparingly and when desperate. I used it (as instructed by the vet) on Chloe to help the itching / feather mites. But being honest, it only really does a bit, I don't think it clears them up completely (nothing does). Such stinky stuff isn't it? I sponged it onto Zi during the patch of hot weather we had - to deter the flies and I think it helped a bit, but I am loathe to bother with it.
Glad Jess is fine in herself - but it's frustrating and worrying when you don't know exactly what is what.
Yes, I honestly thought she was going to drop down dead from it, she became very ataxic, was tremoring and unaware of what was around her :eek: luckily it stopped pretty quickly once I rinsed her off. I only used it perhaps 4 times per year, always drew up the neat stuff with a syringe and put into premeasured out water so I knew it was diluted correctly, sponged it on so we weren't breathing it in etc.

I just spoke with the vet again and we agree it is worth doing some patch testing with her to see if she could possibly tolerate just having her legs deosected (or treated with another version of permethrin) as that is the most effective against stable flies, if only to get her over the hump and let everything calm down.

Not helpful or really very relevant, but I got some of that Hedgewitch (I think that's what it's called) fly spray recently and was fascinated to see - just as the reviews had said - the flies going to land on Raf and then deciding against it, almost like opposing magnets. Unfortunately the effect only lasted minutes. The next time I put plenty more on but he came up in hives and although I think the hives was due to a new Vit E supplement and not the spray, because I stopped the spray straight away but continued with the supplement and he continued to have a reaction every evening after his tea until I stopped that too, I'm reluctant to use the spray again just in case.

Reactions: Jessey
Yes, I honestly thought she was going to drop down dead from it, she became very ataxic, was tremoring and unaware of what was around her :eek: luckily it stopped pretty quickly once I rinsed her off. I only used it perhaps 4 times per year, always drew up the neat stuff with a syringe and put into premeasured out water so I knew it was diluted correctly, sponged it on so we weren't breathing it in etc.

I just spoke with the vet again and we agree it is worth doing some patch testing with her to see if she could possibly tolerate just having her legs deosected (or treated with another version of permethrin) as that is the most effective against stable flies, if only to get her over the hump and let everything calm down.

That must have been scary to see her react like that. Hmm. I just think that anything that smells so toxic usually is.................or dangerous - I don't know but I am very very cautious with it. Just mixing it at the utility room sink (which doesn't get used on that side for anything but nasties) I am always careful and hold my breath if I can!

Not helpful or really very relevant, but I got some of that Hedgewitch (I think that's what it's called) fly spray recently and was fascinated to see - just as the reviews had said - the flies going to land on Raf and then deciding against it, almost like opposing magnets. Unfortunately the effect only lasted minutes. The next time I put plenty more on but he came up in hives and although I think the hives was due to a new Vit E supplement and not the spray, because I stopped the spray straight away but continued with the supplement and he continued to have a reaction every evening after his tea until I stopped that too, I'm reluctant to use the spray again just in case.
I found the same, that it's effects were short lived. There is one called ecovet which has rave reviews and is all natural but it says don't spray it inside or upwind and it can effect breathing :eek: which puts me off

• Wow
Reactions: Bodshi
I went a brought battles fly liquid last night which is deet and lemon grass, it worked great for about an hour :(

But on the positive, Jess trotted up sound. Decided to give her another bute last night to make sure the inflammation is totally down and reassess later today, maybe I'll get a little ride this weekend after all.

I went a brought battles fly liquid last night which is deet and lemon grass, it worked great for about an hour :(

But on the positive, Jess trotted up sound. Decided to give her another bute last night to make sure the inflammation is totally down and reassess later today, maybe I'll get a little ride this weekend after all.

Aw hope you get a ride. How frustrating for you with the fly repellents.

A long shot I’m sure but could you try ‘smidge’ on her?
The Active ingredient is Saltidin, also contains Hexyl cinnamal, Limonen and Linalool. Saltidin® is a safe and reliable active ingredient for insect repellent, combining effective protection with pleasant cosmetic properties.
It’s made for humans and I’m bathing in the stuff just now, have used it in Belle this last few weeks to better effect than anything else.
I squirt it on my hands and rub them over her, with an extra squirt under her belly. Maybe worth a test?

The Active ingredient is Saltidin, also contains Hexyl cinnamal, Limonen and Linalool. Saltidin® is a safe and reliable active ingredient for insect repellent, combining effective protection with pleasant cosmetic properties.
It’s made for humans and I’m bathing in the stuff just now, have used it in Belle this last few weeks to better effect than anything else.
I squirt it on my hands and rub them over her, with an extra squirt under her belly. Maybe worth a test?
Thanks I'll order some :)

I had a little walk ride yesterday and she feels grand :) but it took bute and masses of fly spray for a few days to get on top of it, it's progress tho and the temps have dropped a lot in the last few days so hopefully that will help too :)

Reactions: Kite_Rider

I've often wondered about that stuff - they sell it in our village shop. That's made my mind up, definitely going to try some now.

I think we are getting somewhere with the flies, picked up some NAF deet at the weekend as I was in the tack shop, and it seems to help. Its more of a milky liquid than watery and seems to hang around longer than the other one I got :) I also picked up 2 types of fly traps, a 'red top' and one I can't remember the name of, the red top has only caught 1 fly so far and the other about 20, but perhaps over the coming weeks they will impact. Then I had the field topped on Wednesday, and the flies are far less since (apparently they breed in long grass and rotting stuff), of course its also 10c cooler since last week too which helps. Poor bugger is still in a fly mask, sweet itch sheet and boots but I daren't leave them off yet unless I am around to monitor how she's doing.

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com