Best lice treatment

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Sorry for all these threads. I've been checking and checking and finally saw lice today so please let me know what you have used with success to treat.

Thank you!

Reactions: Jessey
In the U.S. many of us get a liquid from the vet clinic and douse the horse.

There may be home remedies and over-the-counter products but the one time I had to deal with lice on a horse, I got stuff from the vet. It’s been many years ago, so I can’t remember what it was:)

Reactions: MrA
I found chucking the lice powder directly onto him worked best. On the container it says not to put directly on, but the feed shop said it doesn't work otherwise and it was EU health and safety that stipulated that.

Ah, lice would def explain the itching! Deosect is def my first choice because it really works very very well, just remember to repeat after 4 weeks as it doesn't kill the eggs and you need to get the next generation after they hatch. If I haven't got or can't get deosect, I'll use louse powder, but like @Huggy found it has to go straight on them (it used to be licensed for direct application but changes in EU laws made them change it although it's the exact same stuff) and I found I needed to do 2 or 3 treatments, and then repeat after 4 weeks.

Reactions: domane and MrA
Thanks everyone. The quickest thing I can get is indeed the powder so will try that first and if needed can get some deosect on order.

@Jessey I think it was you who said lice initially and that's the reason I've been looking and looking so thank you. One of the foals up here has had them recently but no direct contact with ale and their field is the other side of the main road 🤔

Reactions: Jessey
Sometimes they just get them, Hank is prone and even if he has been nowhere and seen no one else he can find them! Oddly the others never seem to get them even when he is riddled ***touches wood frantically***** I hope I haven't just jinxed myself :oops:

Reactions: Lollykay and MrA
Its that time of year. With it being such a mild winter they will be out ealier. No bald patches on the cows yet but we are a couple of degrees colder here. The fields are just starting to see sun too, so that will warm the air.

Funnily enough, a photo came up in my FB memories this morning of Jack standing in a trashed rug. I remember that I then went on to discover he had lice. I still had 4 back then so they all got sponged over with Deosect, repeated a couple of weeks later and that was that! (The rug was thrown because it was way too trashed, so that didn't have to be treated)

Lovely I'm going to get some deosect on order thank you everyone!!

Can anyone explain how you get the powder to not just fall off especially areas like belly and legs 😅 I'm at the yard now trying to do it in the dark

I think thats one reason to use the deosect.

Id just brush the hair in the opposite direction first so that some of the powder gets trapped in. As its powder id probably mix it with some pig oil and paint on with my paint brush. Like i do with pig oil and sulphur application.

Reactions: domane and MrA
Think there is more on me than him. It says to only use 50g for a large animal, they must be joking right how do you cover the whole body with that little. I've done the best I can, deosect is now ordered so hopefully can do that Thurs and I hope this powder will relieve his itching before then

@Jessey @domane do you have to brush the deosect in? It should be here tomorrow and I was going to give him a good brush over and then spray it on and sponge it on his face, but as his coat is so thick I wondered if I should be trying to brush him through after. The product use description is a bit vague so wondered what you both did. Thank you!

I normally sponge it on all over @Ale to make sure it gets right down into the coat as that's where the little critters hide. It's 500ml to treat a 500kg horse - a whole regular sized spray bottle, so much easier to sponge on.

Re the powder - for next time, I just get it along the top line, brush the coat backwards and then work it into the coat with my hands, it seems to work it's way down a bit, but I suspect not being able to get the underside is one of the reasons I had to do a few applications.

Last edited:
@Ale I am sorry, I am snorting with laughter imagining you trying to apply louse powder in the dark and ending up looking like Frosty the Snowman. I hope Ale appreciates your dedication! xx
100% accurate. I walked in the house and my boyfriend said well at least you won't get any lice now as I was covered😂

Thanks everyone for the help

newrider.com