Best horsey toy from when you were small

nicolaj

Mar 8, 2005
Sydney Australia
Inspired by the Win and Pony Thread, began to remanise about toys, as you do :eek:

I used to have a really great horse and doll, based on Anna Moore the show jumper from the mid 70s, the horse was called Happy Time. It was really great, the best thing I ever had, much better than the Sindy horse which didn't move. It had posable joints and real looking tack.

It came with two saddles a GP and a side saddle, for the doll you could get different outfits, such as point to point, side saddle, show jumping and casual for schooling.

It was got rid of with a load of other toys to some other kid when I was in my teens.

Sad I know, but I really wish I could get my hands on it again! :eek:

My Beautiful Horses.
Barbie horse was nice too.
There are lots of nice little girl things that are horsey aren't there.
Awww

EDIT: WHOOPSSS SORRY I AM ONLY 13 LOL I FORGOT THIS WAS "MATURE" RIDERS....... :p :rolleyes: :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Palomino Barbie horse named Dallas. He had a side saddle and a Western saddle. I also got the Barbie Jeep and the horse trailer. Dallas was a 'better' Barbie horse because he had jointed legs and a real mane and tail.
That's why I wanted him. I remember they also were selling a horse named Prince but he was solid (no bending legs) so I didn't want him.
I wasn't big into Western then and Texas didn't interest me one bit. (I was 9 and growing up in Germany). So it's kind of funny that I had a Texan horse back then. :)

My daughter had a couple of My Little Ponies although I didn't approve of them - she was only allowed to buy second-hand ones. She had real ponies, so that's fair.

My favourite when I was a child, apart from the home-made sock hobby-horses - and the grey Julip - was a small and furry rocking horse ... But what I always pined for and never had was one of those pedal horses, where you push on the pedals and the horse moves.

Linda

Last edited:
Hey Karin US: I also have Dallas, Barbie's poseable palomino. I don't recall the sidesaddle though (maybe we didn't have it in Canada in the first production run of this toy).
I also have Dancer, a commemorative replica of Northern Dancer. He came with english tack, had movable legs (so he could rear & jump you know :p ), and he came with a rider dressed up in english attire. She had shoulder length blond hair and every bits of her body was movable. Even her hands opened up so she could hold the reins.

LMS

I had everything horsey - wallpaper, bedspread, pictures, ornaments etc you name it - I had it!

I had the Sindy horse and the Barbie horse along with the trap. The poor horse did so much jumping in the end that I couldn't stand him up because his knees gave way :p

I also started collecting My Little Ponies when they came out. Even now I am grown up (well sorta!) I have horsey cuddly toys and have the one from The TeddyBear Factory but my Hubby says they have a new one out now.

I didnt have any horsey toys from younger i dont think because i wasn't into horses when i was younger but now i do have 2 horsey toys which you can kind of see in this picture
JessLulu.jpg

I had She-Ra's horse Swiftwind (I think that was the name anyway, it was pink) and Beau's horse Arrow (who was blue). I loved those. Then I got older and bought a couple of Breyers. I still look at the Breyer models but I don't need anything else to dust. :D

i had loads over the years, a mother and foal toy random make, hundreds of my little ponies, she-ra ponies, my beautiful horses, barbie horse sets, i actually played with the barbie horse nibbles? more than the dolls... had a horse with jointed legs, but it was a cheap make not barbiew or anything,

but the main one was mylittle ponies, i had loads and i dont know they were everywhere and i loved them :D

Last edited:
I had Happy Time and Anna too, plus my Julips and also Pippa and her Pony! Remember Pippa??
In fact I had Pippa and her Pony and also Tammy and her pony who was palomino.
I loved them to bits...
I also had a Britains Riding Stables complete with trailer and landrover, also Dream Ponies donkies (think they are magpie models now or was it the other way round??)

I STILL HAVE MY MY LITTLE PONIES! About 30 of them...at least!

They live in a special My Little Pony carrying box you got from being in the My Little Pony club. ( :eek: )

Also the Magpie Model horses - I have about 8-10 of them (I have mine and my sister's). They were really cool, with nice saddles and bridles and rugs and boots and stuff. I have a skewbald hunter model, a skewbald arab model, a dapple grey arab, a golden palomino arab, a normal palomino arab, a fleabitten grey welsh and foal, a dun welsh, and a grey welsh. And possibly some others. And some more foals.

And the schleich (sp?) horses. They are on display in the front room!

Ohh, this is taking me back! I saved up loads of money to buy a palomino Julip horse and rider (still got it!) and I loved Sylvanian Families - little woodland animals, who came in complete families, with clothes and houses and cars and STABLES!!! And a gypsy caravan too, complete with pony. I used to spend hours playing with those, making them jump. I had My Little Ponys too (my favourite was a purple one called Blossum) and I got a MLP Grooming Parlour one year for Christmas. It had loads of brushes and a big mirror, and it all folded up into a stable. I loved it. My dad called it a MLP Abattoir. :( I didn't understand why that was so funny. What a meanie he is!

Didn't have any "proper" horse toys - I did however, own a collection of small model donkeys that various people brought back from their Spanish hols for me :D I used to pretend they were horses and I had hours of fun putting my various small dolls on their backs. I even made "tack" stapled together out of bits of ribbon and cardboard :eek: I had some great books though - did anybody else have the Ladybird book on Horses and Ponies???! Its hilarious to read now - there is a picture of a girl dressed in hacking jacket and gross flappy jods - it declares that she is suitably dressed for riding...... :D :D how things have changed.........!

I have the entire collection of my little ponies - from the first set to about 1990! Man I loved those things....I still have them around somewhere - too pretty to throw out, too embarrasing to have on show :D aj xx

I had lots of Breyer horses and my friends and I would spend hours making tack for them out of yarn and scraps of material for blankets and anything else we could find. My grandfather even made a 2 stall barn for me with little plastic feed tubs. I still have some of the models and recently found out that 1 is worth a little bit of money. :)

LindaAd said:
My daughter had a couple of My Little Ponies although I didn't approve of them - she was only allowed to buy second-hand ones. She had real ponies, so that's fair.

My favourite when I was a child, apart from the home-made sock hobby-horses - and the grey Julip - was a small and furry rocking horse ... But what I always pined for and never had was one of those pedal horses, where you push on the pedals and the horse moves.

Linda

Do you mean a Mobo horse? I was lucky enough to have one that my cousins passed down to me. It made a wonderful sound on a hard surface! Where, oh where is he now?
I had a Julip Shetland (it was the least expensive as smallest), but what fabulous detail on the saddle etc. Even had tiny rosette.
I loved the sock-hobbies too, perhaps thet were even the favourite, as you could let the imagination play a bigger part!

I also had many hours of fun with my Anna and Happytime. Also had Pete and Sundancer. My mum still has them complete with tack, rugs etc. I had a search through ebay once for them but only a few outfits available. They were great toys :)

I had Pete, but didn't have Sundancer.

You do wonder as you get older if these toys, you spent hours playing with actually existed, especially as they aren't made any more!

the toy manufacturers are missing a trick, there must be a market for a Pippa Funnell doll and horse? ;)

newrider.com