Best groundwork exercises

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I love groundwork and I will be doing lots of this with the baby pony (if he passes the vetting - must not get too carried away). I love long reining and horse agility type exercises. I have dusted off my horsey books and dug out the following:

Clicker training for your horse - Alexandra Kurland
Perfect Manners & Perfect Partners - Kelly Marks
The horse agility handbook - Vanessa Bee.

I am going to re-read these books, but I wondered if anyone had any 'goto' groundwork books that you can recommended. What kind of groundwork do you do with your horses? Which exercises work best? I want to develop a partnership between us, build trust and ensure that he has really good manners. I want to show him eventually (did I mention he was a registered connie) so it is important that he trots up nicely and leads well in-hand.

I do not know what is on line these days.
There is a book which covers the various approaches to ground work.
Bayley, Groundwork Training for Your Horse: Develop a Deeper Bond with Your Horse Through a Range of Exercises and Games.
It is a sort of anthology of the trainers working at that time. I read it but the Amazon review points out it covers many traners.
"None of them are treated in extensive detail, but there is enough there to try things out & consider if that approach is right for you and your horse."

I preferred to buy the books by the individual trainers.

My own awareness of ground work started with a couple of leaflets by Kelly Marks. Most NH (Behaviouist) trainers at that time were American and used a round pen. Kelly Marks was a student of Monty Roberts much in the UK news then as he had spent time with the Queen and her horses. She explained how one could do the same type of work in a field or inside a stable.
I did not care for Monty Roberts technique of sending away nor his Dually headcollar when it was used as a tightening halter but their Intelligent Horsemanship organisation helped a lot with home visits to UK people who could not control their ponies.
I also had some vids from a trainer in Sussex (Sue Gardner) and paid for a lesson with her but she never let me inside the school. I also went on an IH training day with unpleasant instructors.
I could not sample Parelli as it was at that time only for people who owned a horse but my grand daughter had some parelli style groundwork lessons.

As I cant ride at the moment I plan to do some groundwork with Ella next week. Apart from leading and halting and backing up, most early groundwork invoilves getting the horse used to passing over or between obstacles. But the exercise that stays in my mind (after the simpler stuff) is one that obliges one to control each foot of the horse individually. One lays out 10 poles in an S shape. One leads the horse through this, step by step, without letting it step outside the poles. It involves two left turns and two right turns for the horse.

Nothing I have cited here relates to a very young horse. You would need to check one of the books on training young horses to make sure nothing I have mentioned (like the maze exercise) would be bad for the horse. Rashid trains young horses in the context of what you need to do with a young horse. That is it must be caught, led, tied up, stabled, possibly loaded onto a lorry or horsebox. It must lift its feet. It must accept being groomed and touched all over. And it must be taken back into its field and released without injuring the handler. He uses long lines in preference to lunging on a circle.

A book re;ated to IH which I liked very much though it is not instructional was Whispering Back: Tales From A Stable in the English Countryside
by Adam Goodfellow and Nicole Golding which is now only £2,99 on Kindle and you might enjoy it.

Well that is my essay done for the day and I should have been working.

Reactions: Mary Poppins
Bayley, Groundwork Training for Your Horse: Develop a Deeper Bond with Your Horse Through a Range of Exercises and Games.
It is a sort of anthology of the trainers working at that time. I read it but the Amazon review points out it covers many traners.
"None of them are treated in extensive detail, but there is enough there to try things out & consider if that approach is right for you and your horse."

My own awareness of ground work started with a couple of leaflets by Kelly Marks. Most NH (Behaviouist) trainers at that time were American and used a round pen. Kelly Marks was a student of Monty Roberts much in the UK news then as he had spent time with the Queen and her horses. She explained how one could do the same type of work in a field or inside a stable.
I did not care for Monty Roberts technique of sending away nor his Dually headcollar when it was used as a tightening halter but their Intelligent Horsemanship organisation helped a lot with home visits to UK people who could not control their ponies.
I also had some vids from a trainer in Sussex (Sue Gardner) and paid for a lesson with her but she never let me inside the school. I also went on an IH training day with unpleasant instructors.
I could not sample Parelli as it was at that time only for people who owned a horse but my grand daughter had some parelli style groundwork lessons.

As I cant ride at the moment I plan to do some groundwork with Ella next week. Apart from leading and halting and backing up, most early groundwork invoilves getting the horse used to passing over or between obstacles. But the exercise that stays in my mind (after the simpler stuff) is one that obliges one to control each foot of the horse individually. One lays out 10 poles in an S shape. One leads the horse through this, step by step, without letting it step outside the poles. It involves two left turns and two right turns for the horse.

Nothing I have cited here relates to a very young horse. You would need to check one of the books on training young horses to make sure nothing I have mentioned (like the maze exercise) would be bad for the horse. Rashid trains young horses in the context of what you need to do with a young horse. That is it must be caught, led, tied up, stabled, possibly loaded onto a lorry or horsebox. It must lift its feet. It must accept being groomed and touched all over. And it must be taken back into its field and released without injuring the handler. He uses long lines in preference to lunging on a circle.

A book re;ated to IH which I liked very much though it is not instructional was Whispering Back: Tales From A Stable in the English Countryside
by Adam Goodfellow and Nicole Golding which is now only £2,99 on Kindle and you might enjoy it.

Thank you. Lots to think about and I have just ordered the Whispering Back book.

My absolutely favourite groundwork book is this one by Rio Barrett:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/101-Horsemanship-Exercises-Improving-Groundwork/dp/0715326724/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1PHFWYWVXCUFS&keywords=rio+barrett&qid=1645178240&s=books&sprefix=rio+barrett,stripbooks,68&sr=1-1

I love the layout, with each exercise separate, and I like the drawings. For me it's clearer to see a drawing than a photograph. I have bought it 3 times on Amazon as I keep giving my copy to people in need! It's very very good.
Thank you. Have just ordered it from ABE books for £6.17. I can't wait to read it.

Just bought the Bayley book as well. I'm so excited to really develop an understanding of ground work. I always struggled to get Ben to lead properly as whatever I did I couldn't motivate him to trot up properly. I want to do some showing and therefore the trot up and manners will be very important. Can't wait to read the books.

To be honest, I think watching someone is more helpful than books.
And the theory about who moves first is a distraction. Either the horse is in charge or the leader is. It is all body language.
Here is a first Kelly Marks on You tube

Having had direct experience of Kelly marks she would pretty well be the last person I would read!

Jane, I have just found two vids on You Tube (not watched them) Part 1 and Part 2 showing Michael Peace teaching a young horse to lead.
If you go to YouTube and search you should find them

Jane, I have just found two vids on You Tube (not watched them) Part 1 and Part 2 showing Michael Peace teaching a young horse to lead.
If you go to YouTube and search you should find them
I love reading books, but I will look at the videos as well. This pony has been well handled so it isn't like I will be teaching him from scratch, but I would like to understand more about training methods.

Why is that? I have always found her books very helpful.
I took my young horse to be a demo horse at one of her and montys demo. The advice I was given by her was to put a roller on and shut him in a stable and close the top door to allow him to freak out as much as he wanted. I also saw the preparations her and Montys horses had before. Almost an hour in the arena (which is fine but they then said that these horses had not been in arena before the demo and also the demo horses were not allowed to acclimatise and were expected to work alongside various machines putting up the seating) and also an hour jumping by her with her horse in the outdoor (jump, yank to a halt, spin 180, jump, yank to a halt and keep repeating).

Along with the outright lies they told the audience. The non loader took 3 hours to load to get here. I was sat beside the owner of that horse who said it had taken about 10mins to get him in.

The starter horse who had never been handled. Who in fact had been handled since birth and had already been used to tack and long reining.

Her books may be better but that is not a day I would ever put a horse through.

I went to one Monty Roberts demo. I agree with @Doodle92.
I never went to another. However, I was already a granny when I started to ride and had watched a lot of Attenborough TV on animal and herd behaviour.
A uni friend had already primed me on behaviourism when my children were little. So it made sense to me to use the technique with horses. And Kelly Marks was about behaviourism.

We had a Kelly Marks instructor a couple of times for Suze and Fleur but we didn't do much as Suze was so afraid that she was at the back of the stable most of the time. What i learnt from it was the advance/retreat and also advice not to ever do work with her in a stable. I then found Antoine who taught La Sensee which is an extremely non USA low energy low impact way of working, very quiet. We did control of head by asking for them to drop head, then flex to each side. Then worked on moving each foot and teaching them that if you walk to them quarters they move over etc. Progressed to leading and teaching them that it is there job to be at your shoulder all the time and to yield to you and go where you go. Fleur found that hard as she tended to get ahead and then block you so you got in front of her backed her a bit and got her back in position and repeated it as many times as it needed to be done till she did it automatically. I remember one day we worked for half an hour on that till she agreed she would do it. She used to rear and buck and you had to just let her get it out of her system, often we just let her loose to let off steam, then caught her again and asked her to work. She always worked in a big field with other horses as i don't have an arena and like them to cope with other stuff going on. We did very little circles, mainly working them from their quarters and shoulder. Taught her to do half passes, mainly just ensuring that her feet go where i want them to go and she is very good if i stop she stops. I did a lot of work in the field leading her, as you can see in the video her mum goes charging up the field and Fleur stays with me. that was the first time i tried it, as i wanted to make the stuff as hard as possible for her yesterday. As you can see when I asked her to work she bucked and reared, we ran out of camera storage then. But she did work nicely in the field, i just made her walk, move and then kept asking for a circle, 4 times we got a Lloyd Bank horse profile i.e. vertical and fifth time she went into a circle so i rewarded her and let her go up the field at a gallop. She also had never done the poles before or up the steps before so it shows that as she leads very well, she goes wherever you go without a question no matter how bizarre she may think it is.
https://vimeo.com/user107337469/dow...m/user107337469/download/679443948/24ac99e746

Last edited:
I visited baby pony again yesterday. I caught him, led him in and out of the field, tied up in a stable, did his feet, touched him all over, sprayed his mane with mane and tail conditioner. He had only had a rug on for the first time on Friday, but he was completely chilled with that. I found him polite to lead and very laid back, especially with gale force winds and lashing rain.

I’m calling the vet to get him vetted this week! I so hope he passes, I am very smitten with him. He will then be completely turned away for a few months and I will just visit him in the field but not do any actual work with him until April/May time. It seems strange to buy a pony and then just put him in the field, but that is what I have been advised to do and from what I have read it seems to be recommended so he can take time to mature both physically and mentally. I really cannot emphasise how cute he is, I so hope the vet doesn’t find anything wrong.

Reactions: domane
I visited baby pony again yesterday. I caught him, led him in and out of the field, tied up in a stable, did his feet, touched him all over, sprayed his mane with mane and tail conditioner. He had only had a rug on for the first time on Friday, but he was completely chilled with that. I found him polite to lead and very laid back, especially with gale force winds and lashing rain.

I’m calling the vet to get him vetted this week! I so hope he passes, I am very smitten with him. He will then be completely turned away for a few months and I will just visit him in the field but not do any actual work with him until April/May time. It seems strange to buy a pony and then just put him in the field, but that is what I have been advised to do and from what I have read it seems to be recommended so he can take time to mature both physically and mentally. I really cannot emphasise how cute he is, I so hope the vet doesn’t find anything wrong.
Is he 4 this spring @Mary Poppins? He’ll be the same age-ish as Niko and @MrC’s Faran 😊

Is he 4 this spring @Mary Poppins? He’ll be the same age-ish as Niko and @MrC’s Faran 😊
Yes, he is 4 on 1st May. 10 days ago I never thought that I would be joining the club of owning a youngster, but here I am and it feels exactly where I am meant to be. A part of me still thinks that I am crazy to be doing this, but the bigger part says go ahead and buy him.

Annoyingly I have to wait for 2 weeks to get him vetted. The vet has had a member of staff leave and is run off his feet. I can go up and see him in the meantime, I just feel a little awkward as he isn't actually mine yet so I don't want to get in the way. Plus I don't want to get too attached incase he fails the vetting.

Reactions: Jessey
Bit late to the party, but I'm so happy you've found another horse and one that you sound so excited about. How frustrating that you have to wait so long for the vetting - I hope all goes smoothly.

Baby pony sounds to be at exactly the same stage that Raf was when I bought him. Raf was 4 on 26th April, just after I bought him and had just been broken. I can't believe he's 16 this year! I hope you enjoy the journey as much as I have 🙂

newrider.com