Best ever hack, and best ever cantering!

Heucherella

Horse Hugger!
May 7, 2008
Herts / Essex border, UK
My RS normally only offers 1 hour hacks, but as they are quiet during the day, they agreed that I could have a 2 hour hack today. It was just the instructor and me, on my favourite horse, and we went out into the leafy Hertfordshire countryside. The hack was brilliant, with plenty of good long canters, and I really felt today that I have finally got a good secure seat.

In the past, when I tried hard to think about wrapping my legs around the horse (wet towels), I found that I didn't get enough weight into the stirrup, and sometimes lost one. :eek: If I tried to keep the weight down, then I didn't have a good firm seat and was bouncing. It's been getting better each time I ride, and today I realised that my legs were still, my seat was in the saddle all the time, and my feet were firmly in the stirrups. :D It made the ride sooo enjoyable.

Now all I have to do is manage the same thing in the school, whilst using my legs to create impulsion to persuade the reluctant neds to canter around the corners. That is a different kettle of fish. As soon as I have to give a good squeeze, my position goes to pot. Ah well, I expect that will come with practice too. :rolleyes:

Thanks for 'listening', I just wanted to share my mini success.

Everything always seems so much easier for me out on a hack too! I went out for 2 hours yesterday and had a great time. This morning in the arena I couldn't do much right for some reason. I'm glad you had a good time and I bet the horses like hacking better than the arena too-

newrider.com