Best brush for thick unruly mane - Silvikrin pics added

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I think I need to tidy Charlie boy up before he goes up for sale. He's fine with shedding blade and rubber brush for getting rid of his winter coat, but his thick Thelwell Pony mane has destroyed my only mane and tail brush. Can anyone suggest a good way to tidy up said enormous mane without losing the au naturel native pony look?

I like this sort, though I don't think mine is a Shires one https://www.derbyhousestore.com/Shires-Ezi-Groom-Mane-And-Tail-Brush/dh5151339.htm?colour=Lime+Green

Spray liberally with Show Sheen and then tease out and brush a few strands at a time, using more Show Sheen as needed (after the first go you won't need much if any Show Sheen). Any unruly knots and tangles are better sorted out with your fingers than with a comb. Once it's done go through it once more, then try to do it every few days - after the first go it'll only take a few minutes as long as you keep on top of it.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Teasing it out, just as one would one's own hair is the best advice. I use Oster mane and tail brush and when I worked on the yard, my friend borrowed it for while I was not there.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai...iOsMH4v5nvAhXYQUEAHfu2ARgQ9aACegQIAxB5&adurl=

One reason I like Oster American style brushes is they are easy to grip for old hands. When dealing with a Spanish horse, I bought German brushes but with my new share I have reverted to Oster. I liked the Oster so much I bought my grandchildren one to use (gently) on their dolls hair.

I have an oster one but find it a bit harsh, I prefer a cheaper human paddle brush as the cushion gives the teeth some flexibility, something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professi...-/293822184718?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292
Dan and Hank both have super thick (and probably dreadlocked at this time of year) manes, i liberally apply mane and tail and rub it through by hand, then the following day apply more and work it in sections bottom to top with a brush.

I like this sort, though I don't think mine is a Shires one https://www.derbyhousestore.com/Shires-Ezi-Groom-Mane-And-Tail-Brush/dh5151339.htm?colour=Lime+Green

Spray liberally with Show Sheen and then tease out and brush a few strands at a time, using more Show Sheen as needed (after the first go you won't need much if any Show Sheen). Any unruly knots and tangles are better sorted out with your fingers than with a comb. Once it's done go through it once more, then try to do it every few days - after the first go it'll only take a few minutes as long as you keep on top of it.
My brush is similar - I spray Silky onto the brush rather than the mane/tail or whatever. Hogan's mane has survived pretty well with the regime.Screenshot_20210305-180413_Gallery.jpg

• Love
Carthorse, I cant remember the names either. My memory has almost vanished with age. I used google and just googled grooming brushes and then recognise the OS at the start of the name.

buddy has a very thick mane which can get tangled and dry. I used Gallop spray on and soak it with that and then tease out tangles a strand at a time then comb with a wide tooth plastic comb. If possible shampoo and conditioner first, and do by hand then every time you groom use spray to detangle and comb

@Jane&Ziggy surely you must know by now that we cannot possibly make any suggestions without an accompanying photograph? So we know just what we are dealing with of course.
For what it's worth Belle has a really thick mane, not long, just thick, I use fingers and my trusty whal dog grooming spray to get knots out and then brush with the same sort of brush that @carthorse and @Skib recommend, to be honest and shame on me, it only gets done a handful of times a year though, she likes the unkempt look herself :rolleyes:

Reactions: Jessey
I also use an Oster brush on the Shetland ponies. It has lasted well over 10 years so far, and still going strong. As others have said, use plenty of conditioner. I spray Mane and Tail onto the mane, or tail, and also directly onto the brush. Witches plaits have to be unravelled by hand (or cut out, as appearance does not matter with my lot!). I also apply baby oil after washing the mane or tail, though I have to admit that I very rarely wash them.

Spray it with loads of whatever you use, then push it all over onto the side of his neck away from you. Bring a small amount over and untangle and brush that, then repeat until you've worked through the whole mane - I find it easier to work from the ears to the wither, but that's just my preference. There's no quick way of doing it, but once you have done it keep on top of it by doing it every day or two and then it won't be a big job.

I find it easier to bring the forelock back behind the ears to do, it means I don't spray conditioner near the eyes and also I'm not stood in front of them trying to sort it.

It's thick, but not impossibly so.

Well I found my Canter Mane & Tail and my Oster brush arrived in the post today (thank you Amazon). I tied the boy up with a bag of haylage and got to it. He was really good!

Brushed the wrong way per @carthorse 's advice
IMG_0963.JPG

The beard! It had to go, I got the scissors out

IMG_0966 2.JPG

Lovely shiny mane. When he trotted down to see me later, it floated

IMG_0969.JPG

Ho did his forelock do that?

IMG_0973.JPG

The Oster brush made such a difference, I couldn't believe it. Thank you all

newrider.com