Best bit for a young, green horse...

Ladyknight

May 6, 2007
Queensland, Australia
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need to get a new bit for my youngster. I am currently using a loose ring snaffle. However, I think it is slightly too big [sticks out two cms on each side]and it sits uneven and pulls throug his mouth. He also seems to avoid it even though there is almost no contact on his mouth most times.
Now, I was wondering what your opinion was on the best bit for him, or young horses in general. Very green, apparently bucks [not for me yet though]
6 year old TB.
I was reccomended a Dring snaffle so it wouldnt slide through his mouth. But then I was told Tom Thumb bits were the best. However I have heard that they rub?

Please help I'm very confused.

I know I will get a few different opinions but I just want a general agreement.

Thanks
And yes his teeth have been checked

Sorry if this has been asked before, my search wasn't working:rolleyes:

i like fulmer snaffles for babies. Helps with steering! I got a fulmer with copper peanut roller which my 3 year old seems to love.

He also has a D-ring snaffle but it's a gold-coloured cyprium (sp?) bit. Now, that gets him mouthing, he loves it and dribbles and drools everywhere!

Okay...i m now tossing up between a D-ring or full cheek. Sory if I'm being fussy, but which on? Any drawbacks on either,cause I've read that full cheeks can get caught on things?

Okay...i m now tossing up between a D-ring or full cheek. Sory if I'm being fussy, but which on? Any drawbacks on either,cause I've read that full cheeks can get caught on things?

yeah on your skin when horse decides you need a head rub whilst they are wearing their bridle!! ......Maddison has one (full cheek) :D

I always use a loose ring french link for breaking or a loose ring snaffle depending on which suit the horse better, ive never had problems with steering etc but my breakers are long lined before ever being sat on so understand and accept the bridle without problems, i will also use a flash noseband if needed.

Thank you so much for all the advice. I went and got a D-ring snaffle today from Horseland. It fit him perfectly, and after trying it on for a second time he accepted it happier. I didn't actually ride him, but he turned in hand on a very light pressure. And when asked to back up using the reins, he put his head down nicely and did it without even tossing or fighting the bit!:D:D

I pretty sure it has to do with the fact that it doesnt slide through his mouth anymore. Hopefully when I ride him tomorrow, it will show that the problem is solved!:)

newrider.com