Bending - finding canter harder

smiler22

Xx Thorneyside Angelo xX
Mar 28, 2005
Preston
Ok we seem to have turned a corner with Casp now and its a good corner but there is one thing which is really holding him back. His canter.

He is fine on the right rein and becoming really relaxed but on his left rein he is awful. He nearly always goes off on the wrong leg and doesn't seem to be improving!

I think it has something to do with his bend on this rein as he doesn't really seem to have any and finds it hard.

How do I teach him to bend properly on this rein?

If its a physical issue, he'll need alot of carrot stretches before you even get on.

If he just plainly doesn't yield to the bit, then you'll have to teach him to give to the bit on that side. There's a million and one ways to do so. The best spelt out ways come straight out of John Lyon's "Give to the Bit" exercises. Try googling or going straight to his website www.johnlyons.com

Have you tried asking him to bend on the ground? I'd start with carrot stretches and see if there's a difference in his flexibility on each side.

If there is, then you need to work on suppling him in left bend/stretching his right side out - anything that makes him bend will be good (circles, leg yield, turn on the forehand, more carrot stretches :p etc), but don't try and do too much too fast or he'll get sore.

If there's no difference then it's either a rider issue (will he canter nicely on the left rein on the lunge or for other riders?) or a mental issue. I new a pony that was absolutely convinced he couldn't canter on the right rein. They had to put him on a R circle, get a nice trot and then take him over a tiny jump - nearly every time he'd land in canter and carry on on the right lead (until he got lots and LOTS of praise and stopped for treats :D)

Good luck - sounds like you're making lots of progress else where. I'm sure you'll get this cracked soon :)

Yes whenever he jumps on that rein he lands on the right leg lol.

He always bends nicely on the other rein but it seems his current owners have found the right rein easier so just done all the work on that rein.

newrider.com