Ben and I went xc schooling!!!

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
It was so much fun. We went in a group of 5. Managed to canter round with everyone, stayed in control and apart from some nervous moments at the beginning I didn't really feel the fear. We jumped some lovely jumps (all under 2ft) including a little series of 2 tyre jumps and a roll top table. I am still buzzing and want to go again now. Ben was absolutely perfect in everyday. Safe but forward going and didn't seem bothered by anything at all.

Just wanted to share my buzzing vibes.

I do have a few but they are on my friends phone and I have no idea how to put them up on here. It was so much fun, it's my first step towards going on a sponsored ride. Once I got over the initial 'I am going to die' feeling, I really enjoyed it. Ben easily went over the jumps. He jumps anything, I just need to point him at it. We coped with horses passing us going much faster and he didn't care at all. It's taken me 3 years to build up the confidence to do this and I can't believe that we are finally getting there!

Reactions: Ruskii
I am not sure about my confidence returning - I never had any in the first place! I have been a complete nervous nelly from the first moment I sat on a horse. It's amazing how I have managed to continue riding for 32 years really!

Reactions: Ruskii
Well done! That must have been such a buzz! I want to do some XC soon too, once Roxy is moved and settled in her new yard.

Reactions: Mary Poppins
I am still on a high. Am planning to do some mini one day events next year. The venue I went to yesterday used to do a 40cm xc course, but due to lack of entries they stopped this a couple of years ago. I am now on a mission to drum up lots of support to get them to run it again. There is another venue that does 2 mini events in early summer and late summer so I will aim for them as well.

Who would have thought that I would be joining in with the eventers at my yard? Yes, they are jumping 100 courses and I am doing 40, but suddenly I am feeling part of the 'in crowd'! They have been so supportive encouraging, I feel really bad as I used to think that they looked down on me and thought that I was a terrible rider. I was very wrong to think this and now realise that this was all in my head. I am buzzing so much, I have never enjoyed riding so much.

Reactions: Ruskii and Jessey
awwwwww thats fab! i am doing a 1ft6 mini ODE in Oct! i am very excited and nervous at the same time :) we have found another venue within an hours drive that does mini combined training (dressage and SJ) they start at 1ft3 class then 1ft8, so i could do two!!!

Sounds great! Once again I so wish you were nearer to me! I would love to meet up at a mini event with you.

I am going to hunt out more mini ODE venues and want to do them all! I can't believe how easy Ben finds xc jumping. I used to think that it was really dangerous, and I think that it probably is a the higher levels but Ben just pops over the jumps in trot with a lovely spring in his step. I have no intention of ever jumping any bigger, and as Ben is such a heavy horse I wouldn't want to risk his legs, but it's so much fun doing to mini stuff. You get the thrill and the buzz but without the risk!

Is Rosehill in Berks a long way from you MP? I was thinking of taking Roxy there at some point...

Rosehill is do-able - it's a fair drive but people on my yard go there.

I am not sure on the size of jumps though - do they have 'mini' jumps? It doesn't seem to say on the website.

Yes, they have three sizes of all the jumps, mini, medium and proper big girls' pants ones!

Just looked it up and it's a 40 minute drive so certainly do-able. I will watch you do the 'big pant' jumps while I stick to the smallest of the minis!

Rosehill has loads of tiny wee ones, pretty sure they run a 2ft class at some comps. I love it for taking the youngsters round, only half hour or so from me so nice and easy! Well done MP on your jumping :)

And also, I am pleased you know that the girls on your yard weren't looking down on you.

The girls on my yard were super supportive of the non loading Tobes, even when I didn't want to go to shows because of his naughty behaviour, they all said, we will wait while he loads, and they did. Had I known that a bucket of sticky mollassed cool mix would have done the job, there would never have been a problem!!!

newrider.com