bellyband how tight?

rocklanenancy

Jul 31, 2004
nw uk
Visit site
Hi, could someone please tell me how tight the bellyband should be?(photos would be ace!) We just have it quite loose so the shafts cant tip up, but can still move a bit, but someone keeps saying we have them too loose as he straps them down quite a lot tighter.

bellyband

its the strap that carries on from the tugs downwards and fastens over the girth if that makes sense? Im rubbish at describing things! it holds the tugs in place so the cart cant tip up.

You want enough play in the belly band to allow a couple of inches movement in the shafts. Generally if you can fit a fist between the horse and the belly band low down, that gives about the right feel.....that for a small pony,

However if I am using a 4 wheeler with shafts as one unit I do th belly band tighter, not as tight as the girth but only allow a small amount of movement in the shafts.

Independent shafts need tilbury tugs and a belly band as tight as the girth.

This is not the best shot, but you can see the belly band here and that the shaft would have a couple of inches play up the way. This is a 13.2hh Haflinger, so you get some idea of scale.

img268.jpg

Oh dear, my poor horse, having "wrong reins" :D :D

Why do some folk have to display their higgorance. Is rough cheek the only way forward then?

Plain cheek is perfectly acceptable if your horse is happy and you have control.

Jeeze. I went out with my instructor with her Tandemlast week, the wheeler is so, SO light she goes on plain cheek, the leader, who, as you'd expect for a tandem leader, likes to go on a bit, so is on rough cheek.

My instructor is an international judge, just judged HOYS last year. She's great! :D

IME a judge is more likely to mark you down if you are on "duffer's hole" than plain cheek.

newrider.com