Being Dense - Electric Fencing

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
Have invested in an energiser for the leccy fencing as she has realised she can trample it :rolleyes:.

I have a Fi-Shock SS-2000X Heavy duty fence energizer... Will get two 12V batteries (so I can charge one) tomorrow hopefully! Now... I need to contain a 12hh and a 34" miniture! I wanted to do a double line fence (two tapes at different heights)...

I have looked online but struggling to find something I understand!!!! There is one earth wire and one wire for the fence (each with one crocodile clip on)... am I able to electrify both tapes with this? Im confused about how I connect it up!!! :eek::eek:

Clip the green crocodile clip to one of your fence tapes, then get another thing from the shop, a connecter with a crocodile clip on each end. Attach that to the wire you have the other clip on, then connect to the second fence wire. Attach the earth crocodile(the red one) to something else, I usually clip mine to the netting on the fence line the temporary fencing starts off though I don't know if that's the best thing to use, it's often all I have.

Red one should go to an "Earth stake", just any suitable metal stake that you can drive in the ground, or you can buy one. My two line fencing is done by running it all the way round for the top tape, the taking it down to a lower clip at the end and running it back again, like a big loop. my 11.2 :eek:hh pony can still thread himself through this if he tries!!

Red one should go to an "Earth stake", just any suitable metal stake that you can drive in the ground, or you can buy one. My two line fencing is done by running it all the way round for the top tape, the taking it down to a lower clip at the end and running it back again, like a big loop. my 11.2 :eek:hh pony can still thread himself through this if he tries!!

Thats what I thought I could do - do you attach both ends of tape to the clip? or do you just have one end "loose"?

Also, can it run down the side of a plastic post or does it need to be attached to say a ring tape holder to make it in a point (the part between the top and bottom wire)

If I am doing a double fence line, I start on the bottom line leaving a bit of excess at the start for handle, go along to end end post, wrap around lower slot to secure, up to top slot, wrap to secure, back along top line, attach both ends to handle with knot, hope that makes sense.
Both end posts will need anchoring.
I always alternate the direction of the posts, one slots facing you, next facing away, and so on, stops the wind blowing tape off, must put the bottom row on first this way.

My clip to go to the earth pole is the green one - red one attaches to the actual tape?:confused: Is mine different to everybody elses? Been doing it for years that way and it works? Am I being very dense here?? (yes I know - probably:eek::D)

Mine is green to earth and red to the fencing :) Labelled on the box... Just wish the rest was labelled!!! :p

Is a copper pipe from BnQ sufficient to earth?

My hubby used copper pipe for mine. He wired up 4 lots of it and sunk them in as far apart as he could because we have flint under our field (clay on top) and so he couldn't get an earth stake in as deep as he would have wanted.

So I have the kit. My plan:

1) Attach the energiser to the inside of the doorway of the shelter (it says it needs to be covered from rain???)
2) Wire the bottom wire along posts, at the end feed up the side of last post, and then refeed across the top line and back to the energiser and fasten.
3) Clip earth wire to metal pole (yet to figure out how!!) and place earth pole in ground
4) Clip red wire to tape
5) Connect up battery

10022010252.jpg

Concerns:

1) Is the battery safe on the floor in the field shelter? (Wont harm ponios??)
2) Will the energiser be safe at low level (bearing in mind I have a welshie and a miniture!) as it it wont harm them?

Not sure where to store them if they need to be kept out of direct rain?

If your horses are anything like my Joy then I wouldn't have let the battery or energiser be anywhere near them. Jot destroyed mine when I swapped her to the other side of the field with them in. Hubby now has to rewire all 4 copper earth rods as Joy detroyed them. She also picked up the solar panel trickle charger and ripped it away from from the unit and then stamped on it :rolleyes:

I know better now.

I would have to keep it outside at least half the year though :confused:

Argh - I really ahve no idea how so may people use this stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My unit is waterproof, but I cover it with a builders bucket, thread earth stake down inbetween bucket and handle, and push hard into ground. Bucket has never moved.
Not sure if ponies will use the shelter if unit is inside as they often don't like the ticking.
Wouldn't be keen on allowing them near the battery.

Meant to add, at my previous yard I kept them both under a plastic bread tray to keep the worst of the weather off and had no problems :)

Yeah it has a hole at the top - I presumed for putting a screw in - I have a plastic bread bin that doesnt fit bread in... I might fasten that like a box on the wall if it fits over unit :)

Does the battery have to be kept dry too?

newrider.com