Being brave and posting a video or Chanter and I riding

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
As the title says I am being very brave and posting this because I am quite proud. Chanter and I had a lot of issues over the years with arthritics in his hocks and than colic in November. We had a lot of problems with canter with him running in to it and being rather flat causing us problems at comps and effecting our score until a month ago when it all came together.

Please remember that he is 19 and arthritic in both hocks so he will look stiff on his back end. This was not a full on schooling session just OH popping up to take a look so he is not as together as I would ask for at a comp. OK excuses over:

I think for a horse of 19 he's absolutely beautiful- I'm not an expert no but he looks to have a lovely controlled rhythm and his outline is nice despite what you say about him being stiff, he looks gorgeous to me!!
your seats really good,you move to him beautifully and your leg stays still :) I think your both pretty great actually and id be very pleased with myself and my steed if I were you:) you obviously work very hard with him so go you;) x

you both look fab!!

i was going to say you look more stable in canter to the left - on the right you seem to lean back behind the vertical more...? just seen EMLs reply and perhaps its the picture of both u and chanter on the left that looks more 'together'

either way i could only dream of having a canter like that from Moet, we are seriously appalling at canter!

I think for a horse of 19 he's absolutely beautiful- I'm not an expert no but he looks to have a lovely controlled rhythm and his outline is nice despite what you say about him being stiff, he looks gorgeous to me!!
your seats really good,you move to him beautifully and your leg stays still :) I think your both pretty great actually and id be very pleased with myself and my steed if I were you:) you obviously work very hard with him so go you;) x

to my very novice eye, you both look amazing and exactly as Bonbon says. An inspiration and reassuring that horses can keep working well despite their years and arthritic changes.

I think you both look fantastic, so controlled and relaxed.

I love it that he can work like this, but be a mad bucking farting loon when you are out!

I am envious of how quiet your legs are, I seem to have gone back to wobbly legs having not had lessons for a while!!!

And also agree that in first vid you look a little too far back (that said again I'm envious I tend to tip forward!!!!)

Nowt to add! Just wanted to say how nice it is to see him active and going well - a far cry from our Joe when he was 19!! To say you've had hock problems I think he looks fab too.

Thanks guys he really is a dream to school now I guess some guys just get better with age.

As for the left rein right rein. He is actually stiffer on his left rein and will fall out through his shoulder given the chance. That was the last of 4 videos on the right rein and the last canter I did. To be honest I think I was over riding it asking for more with my seat with out channeling the energy in the front end so my bad not Chanters.

My main fault is leaning to far back and pushing with my seat and it got worse when I got Ginger as he is so lazy it is not a good way to ride and my RI kept telling me off today for it. Chanter does not need any pushing but I sometimes forget which horse i need to do what on. Bad mum.

Thanks guys he really is a dream to school now I guess some guys just get better with age.

As for the left rein right rein. He is actually stiffer on his left rein and will fall out through his shoulder given the chance. That was the last of 4 videos on the right rein and the last canter I did. To be honest I think I was over riding it asking for more with my seat with out channeling the energy in the front end so my bad not Chanters.

My main fault is leaning to far back and pushing with my seat and it got worse when I got Ginger as he is so lazy it is not a good way to ride and my RI kept telling me off today for it. Chanter does not need any pushing but I sometimes forget which horse i need to do what on. Bad mum.

Yeah same problem here with Sil and Rascal :bounce::bounce:

I am way too much of a useless rider to post any deeply meaningful critique on this OBC - but I will just say it looks absolutely great to me! 9 or 19 - he is looking good!:biggrin:

Sorry ObC - I was referring you you "pushing with your seat" - not suggesting you were doing it in the video!!!! :D

If only my oap pony moved like that... hang on if my young athletic peg legged 8yr old moved like that :giggle:

Awww you both look wonderfull!! :biggrin: I have a serious soft spot for Chanter, he is just lovely :inlove:

I am jealous of your canter position, so nice & still!! :biggrin: I struggle sitting on my arse with my bouncy little ponies lmao!! :giggle:

Sorry ObC - I was referring you you "pushing with your seat" - not suggesting you were doing it in the video!!!! :D

If only my oap pony moved like that... hang on if my young athletic peg legged 8yr old moved like that :giggle:

PFB No I was driving with me seat on the right rein hence the reason I was behind the vertical on that rein you are right. I was saying that I don't drive with my seat on Ginger in canter as I have to ride him practically jockey style in a very light seat so I can't drive. But I no I do it in walk in him.

Blimey ObC you both look fab - pretty much the same compliments as written before tbh! I have to say he looks like a very comfortable & smooth ride. Roxy's canter in comparison makes her look like a rocking horse!

newrider.com