Being a horse person survey.....

To party or not to party - if so, how much?!

• Do you partake regularly ie, each evening?

Votes: 14 17.7%
  • Do you partake at the weekends only?

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • Are you completely alcohol free?

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • Do you have the "odd glass" every now and again?

Votes: 47 59.5%

• Total voters

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I am going to be dreadfully nosey here:eek:
Being horse owners or even if you don't own but are a keen horse rider / loaner how much (if any) alcohol do you consume and when? Do you all like to keep a fresh head or can you "work through" a hangover? Do you have time to drink? Are you all early risers? Do you see it as an unnecessary "evil"? Questions questions. Is anybody out there tea total? Curious, because OH and myself have over the last few years changed our habits drastically.

So a little survey / poll to make it easy!

Its really bad to say but im a binge drinker. In the sense that

A) i dont drink unless i go out and then can polish off a bottle of wine :sleep:
B) I dont have a social life :stomp:

super abey - bet you've got more of a social life than me! lol, OH and I have the horses and thats about it!!!! hehehehe, horses are good listeners tho!

I don't really drink unless I'm on a mission to get drunk and that only happens once in a blue moon since the hangovers have me literally crawling around the floor in agony for at least the day after (and feeling green for another three days after that).
I work for a charity who care for children experiencing the impact of alcohol misuse and I know that can be at an extreme but it has opened my eyes a bit.

I'm like Abbey, don't drink regularly at home but if I'm out for a meal or out in town I'll quite easily finish off a bottle of wine!! :redface:

When I was at college with the horse, that was a different story! out most nights and still had to be up and have the horse done by 8:30!! Star was good bless him if I was feeling delicate, he'd be impecably behaved and just stand like a lamb whilst I mucked out around him!

My habits have changed over the years.

I used to have horses and have a rather hectic social life – hangovers and drinking never got in the way of the horses and I could fit in both easily and used to have a mass of energy to keep going. I used used to be heavily into motorsport and we would be away each month up and down the country with the drift cars.

Then the sensible years came and I seem to have traded my social and other hobbies for horses. I choose not to drink as I feel the money is wasted when I could use it on my horses. I don’t crave the social aspect like I used to years ago but I am happily settled and married now and our social is more with close friends and family and going out ourselves. We have more fun doing the horses together then going out shopping or drinking haha

Guess I have experienced both sides and enjoyed both sides but choose now to be more home orientated and horse orientated. Extremely happy to have what I have and friends /family that we have and that’s what matters :)

I have to say that alcohol keeps me sane :redface:

I have a few glasses each evening. As soon as work is finished I have a glass and think about cooking dinner.

I even ride after having a glass or two. I remember not long ago due to either my birthday or some family event, I went for a hack (but only around my 72 acres so knew I would not come across anything scary) after consuming a bottle of Cava all to myself :redface:

As I say, alcohol keeps me sane. Stresses of kids, having own business, etc, etc, it is my one thing that helps me wind down.

I dont smoke or do drugs, never have done. I dont see that a few glasses of vino an evening does any harm. I dont drink any spirits or anything like that. I hardly ever have a hangover probably only at christmas time.

Claire1605 - I envy you! I just don't seem to be able to tolerate anything more than half a glass of lager these days - I don't know, but I suffer really badly the next day otherwise. I used to be a total beer monster as well!!!! I think my tolerance has gone down somewhat..............I used to enjoy a glass or two whilst cooking, but find that if I do that I get really down the next day, to the point where I get up late and can't be bothered riding!! (Hate feeling like its all a chore).

I gave up about 7 weeks ago and not planning on starting again.

I was a binge drinker - Only drank out on social occasions. Problem was once I get tipsy (basically after 1 pint/glass) I get in the swing of things I basically HAVE to be the last one out/up which doesnt bode well for the next day's activities.

Plus when I was drunk and having an amazing time I'd arrange to do things with people the following weekend. As I dont like letting people down I'd have to go ......and then when I was drunk I'd end up organising something for the weekend after that! Too expensive and it was ruining my weekends with the horse as I get awful hangovers these days.

Havent missed it so far, I dance like a mad head anyway - I find the more drunk and uninhibited people are around me, the more unself conscious and silly I get anyway...I just get to bed at a more reasonable hour!

I VERY rarely drink or go out where Im likely to............when I do its generally at home or special occasions..............dont do 'clubbin' or clubs/dance places/nights out on the rown etc so dont drink much at all!!

Funny considering I work for a wine import company :bounce::bounce:

Same as Claire1605, I tend to have a glass of wine most evenings, although that has to be after I have sorted the horse out as I wouldnt be able to drive there!
Very rarely have more than a glass or two, I cannot function with a hangover. If i plan a big night out(very rare) I like to have a day off the next day!

NONE!!!!! Baby is due in ten weeks (not that I'm counting or anything) Have already organised my first night out drinking, SA v's Scotland rugby in November-woohoo! It'll probably mean two half pints of cider and I'll be drunk, this is pretty much normal and I only really drink at weekends, well known lightweight! x

D thats mainly cos I am a total lightweight who can get ****ed on 2 glasses of Lambrini:giggle:

Thats me for sure

I brought some some cans of cider at Christmas and some of them are still in the cupboard. I am not tea total. But I might as well be. I dont miss alchol. I was never brought up on it so I have no interest in it now.

I will have a glass of lambrini/lambrisco once in a blue moon or maybe a can of cider. Well actually not even a can in one go. It too much for me. Goes straight to my head. So a can either gets shared or I shove it in the fridge for the next day.

I don't really drink, maybe one or two if I go out for a meal or go to a wedding or party etc but other then that not really.

I used to drink a lot and have a hubby that drinks most evenings (up to a bottle but isn't often 'drunk') which sort of puts me off drinking really as I don't want to encourage him.

I'm also really really stupid when drunk (ok other people say i'm funny when I've been drinking lol), besides - full sugar coke makes me as hyperactive as alcohol does lol.

I don't smoke either, but used to.

I think my tolerance has gone to zero - I am not a lightweight person and used to be known for my drinking capacity (not something I am proud of either) but nowadays I can't stomach it at all!! On a sunny evening every now and again I get the desire to crack open the Fosters but I don't half pay for it the next day.........

newrider.com