Been watching some western films

Watching a film from 1934.
Just seen two horses apparently jump off a little cliff into the river.
Amazingly neither horse broke a leg or its neck, and neither horse galloped up to the edge and said sod that!!
I can imagine mine doing a last second stop and me flying into the river at 90mph 😂

A quick Google and I found more information about how the
"No animal was harmed in the making of this film" came about.

What's interesting is it only covers animals on set, and doesn't cover if they subsequently die after, off st.
Like racing.

If it's true that the Hobbit lost thirty animals after filming, that's thirty too many.

living on your horse and being constantly on the move so appeals to me. I'm one of those people that always wants to see what's over the next hill or round the next bend.
Cowhands had their own saddles but the horses belonged to the rancher. The horses were looked after by Wranglers. Jack Thorpe says that each cowboy was allocated 7 horses and became very jealous of them as no two people ride a horse exactly the same.

Unclaimed cattle were rounded up in Texas or from Mexico and herded north to be fattened in Montana. The chuck wagon did not produce leavened bread. There was stew (they took pigs with them) with biscuits baked on top. The biscuits are what UK call scones. For this you need baking soda. These days cowboy cooking is fashionable and high end. I still soak and cook Texan beans and freeze them in batches.

After OH retired we did several USA road trips. Our second started in Texas and we spent a month doing the Chisolm trail driving a hire car up to Montana. There was indeed very scarey weather with storms and tornados. And we travelled America without pre booking. We just rang ahead at lunchtime and got a bed for that night.

American friends later told us this was high risk and I am not recommending it. But it was what we loved doing.

A quick google shows 27, and I’m not defending it but a flock of chickens being killed by wild dogs while off set is included in that, which is sad but not really anyone’s fault but some of the deaths were clearly preventable by having suitable housing/turnout. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/hobbit-animal-deaths-wranglers-blame-392010/

That article makes more sense.
I think they lost the pony with unsuitable ground.

I don't agree with the comment in the article that horses need to be housed on flat land, I've known so many horses kept safely on hills and rough ground and if you think of what some of our native breeds have lived on for generations then it's a miracle they aren't extinct! But maybe if horses have only ever lived on small flat patches this is an issue, though I wouldn't care to ride a horse with that little awareness.

The decision following accidents to then bring the horses in may well have caused a colic.

After picking holes in the article it does still sound like the care was less than ideal, but I wonder if there's also an element of some people having an axe to grind.

Been watching a few more and now seen a rider throw a western pad on, jump on and canter off.
I can't see me copying that. 😂

Watching a film from 1934.
Just seen two horses apparently jump off a little cliff into the river.
Amazingly neither horse broke a leg or its neck, and neither horse galloped up to the edge and said sod that!!
I can imagine mine doing a last second stop and me flying into the river at 90mph 😂
Haha, that's classic 1930s movie magic for you! Those scenes where animals seem to defy all logic and physics can be both entertaining and hilarious. I guess back then, the "just go with it" attitude applied to everyone, including the four-legged actors.

The mental image of your own horses reacting to the cliff like, "Nah, not happening," is too good! Real-life horses would probably be the ultimate film critics, giving their honest opinions with some impressive stunts of their own. 😂

Embarking on a fantastical journey of dark fantasy, 'Pan's Labyrinth' isn't just a film; it's a hauntingly beautiful exploration of the human spirit set against the backdrop of post-Civil War Spain. Directed by Guillermo del Toro, this 2006 Spanish-language masterpiece intertwines the grim realities of war with the enchanting realm of fantasy . The film's stunning visuals, intricate storytelling, and the delicate balance between innocence and brutality create an immersive and emotionally resonant cinematic experience. 'Pan's Labyrinth' isn't just my favorite; it's a transcendent tale that traverses the boundaries between reality and imagination at 123.movies.

What's the name of the film you're watching from 1934? It sounds like a wild ride, and I'm curious to know more about these daredevil horses!

Last edited:
@newforest what a fabulous thread … I used to love watching cowboy films read flicka etc my dreams always take to the fabulous scenery that is in America on the forums they shared there hacking pics or as they call it trail riding…. I used to jokingly beg them to adopt me say I o lay need a log cabin and a coralle. 🤣🤣to those American ladies on the forums…. I was the cute old English woman riding her ponies in long skirts / Concours lol… they loved my outfits. I used to be on a forum it was american they regular do day long rides with break for picnic food or weekend and long weekend. It was what I was planning g to do with Melody before I lost her. I would one day like to think I can do this before I die…I am 58 now 🤞🏼🍀

I was planning to box down to @jessy and ride in the forest with her. Bloody illness with my ex then covid struck to I stopped riding. Then I lost Mel. I now have to make new plans and dreams when I start riding summer storm. he won’t be steady old reliable Melody that’s for sure.

My plans always were to build up to longer rides I loved that @Jessey went to the states. I did ask Jessey several times about her bags, equipment etc, because I realise she knowledgeable in that area. I found American outffitters that suppply pack that kind of fit on western saddles with horns etc…. I did a thread about it will be on here way, way back somewhere.

still a massive goal of mine to do these type ride who knows me and Storm or Rexy might get there one day 🤞🏼❤️

I did however come across yesterday pony trekking in Gailesheils in scotland on the Highland ponies I aim to lose enough weight this year to do that by September this year when the weather will turns. ANYONE WANT TO JOIN ME ? Get in touch. I got 3 stone plus to lose to be a more sensible weight . But considering I lost 9l s in January just walking my pups we might actually make that target this year. 🤞🏼🍀

I desperately want to get back in the saddle again… start riding and reset my aims and goals on a new partnership which will be me a summer storm. See we we go riding round on him in Concours skirts I am not so sure about 🤭🤭🤭 he’s a touch flighty and way more spirited lol

Might be too much for his street cred though he would look stunning in emerald green On chestnut ❤

I’m hoping to be off on another adventure in September, I’ve just plotted a new route from home to the coast, it will take 3 days to get there and be camping on route 😁 slight issue is Monkey will probably never manage the weight Jess carried, so hoping to recruit a crew for this one and look at borrowing a pony (my little guys are just too small for this sort of mileage) to train to pack gear for future adventures. You’re always welcome to come down @Native Lover, once you get going again.

Reactions: Native Lover
I would liove to do some long distance rides. I could ride to the coast from here easily (there's a bridlepath all the way there via the South Downs) but the grazing for Sid is an issue. In good weather I would sleep out, but I think in the UK I'd really need a tent.... and to teach Sid to ground tie and tether!

ETA I still love Westerns. Most cowboy travel is done at walk, because if you hurry cows they lose weight. A lot of cowboys had a roping horse and a riding horse (the way a medieval knight had a riding horse and a battle horse) because a horse with steady, comfortable, ground covering gaits isn't always the same horse as the one that can turn and stop on a sixpence and just wants to boss those cows around.

Reactions: Jessey
The nearest I will get to the western films is tying mine to a twig and owning a western skirt.
I do plan a picnic because you can do that easily enough.
I don't know how comfy the skirt will be, though it fits is as far as I got.

I would liove to do some long distance rides. I could ride to the coast from here easily (there's a bridlepath all the way there via the South Downs) but the grazing for Sid is an issue. In good weather I would sleep out, but I think in the UK I'd really need a tent.... and to teach Sid to ground tie and tether!

ETA I still love Westerns. Most cowboy travel is done at walk, because if you hurry cows they lose weight. A lot of cowboys had a roping horse and a riding horse (the way a medieval knight had a riding horse and a battle horse) because a horse with steady, comfortable, ground covering gaits isn't always the same horse as the one that can turn and stop on a sixpence and just wants to boss those cows around.
The South Downs is on my list to do, maybe in a year or two 🤞

newrider.com