Been Riding Again one step forward ,two back

Chris6111

Jun 23, 2013
Well im trying to build my confidence again. determined from last friday to ride everyday. Friend came to ride my girl and she stood on a stone and bruised her sole!! poor babe but poor me.. had to give her a rest so no riding again.. got back on her yesterday and did a couple of laps of the sand arena.. she seemed to be walking funny so i jumped off to see what she was like without me, only to find out the martingale ring was stuck round her bit! got back on and would she hell move:stomp: Could hear her thinking, no way you've had ya chance,!!! today rode again and did a little walk but soon as i asked for trot she seemed to rear a little so frightened myself again.. im like a jelly !! anyway girl helped me get her going and she was fine, just think she was trying me out after yesterday and of course i dont have the confidence to take control fully..but continued to ride for 20 mins and confidence was ok when i got off.. hard but if i get off with a dent in my confidence then i struggle to get on again next time but if i get off feeling better then im always rearing to go the next day.. anyone else up and down like me?:yellowcarded:

Oh dear, not good news about the martingale...do you have stops on your reins like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-and-Brown-Rubber-Rein-Stops-Martingale-/181186892507

If not please get some, you can have a nasty accident without them as you so very nearly found out when they got stuck around the bit!:frown:

Your right, always try and end on a good note it really helps with confidence and looking forward to the next ride. Even if you literally just walk one lap of the school that is a happy ending isnt it?

Have I missed the pictures of your horse then???:wink::biggrin:

I would say have some lessons with your horse. I find that having lessons increases your confidence a lot, and helps you with controlling your horse and being more confident which in turn helps them be more confident.

A good instructor, IMO, is worth their weight in gold.

Thanks for the eBay link, bought them. And lessons in hand on my own horse. Have one a week on school horse but gonna have another one on my own.

I think we all suffer frm confidence knock at some time and it can be hard turning it around again but it sounds like you are determined and taking it slowly in small steps without pushing yourself too far out of your comfort zone which is a good idea.

Lessons I agree are great way forward and someone exp there makes you feel more secure if anything goes wrong and keeps you focused with goals to achieve.

Your girl is lovely :biggrin:

Im finding my new yard with the the owners help and advice is giving me increased confidence and riding other horses on the gallops whih never thought I would be doing is giving me conf on my own too :smile:

Riding other horses in lessons might help too??

I think we all suffer frm confidence knock at some time and it can be hard turning it around again but it sounds like you are determined and taking it slowly in small steps without pushing yourself too far out of your comfort zone which is a good idea.

Lessons I agree are great way forward and someone exp there makes you feel more secure if anything goes wrong and keeps you focused with goals to achieve.

Your girl is lovely :biggrin:

Im finding my new yard with the the owners help and advice is giving me increased confidence and riding other horses on the gallops whih never thought I would be doing is giving me conf on my own too :smile:

Riding other horses in lessons might help too??

Finding your confidence is not a linear process. There will be set backs and sometimes it will be up high, other times it will drop low. I always find it takes a day or two after something bad happens like a fall, before I feel the nerves. It's just my brain trying to keep me safe by saying dont do it lol. You have to embrace the nerves, adjust your expectations accordingly. So if you're extremely nervous, only do a little, you're still pushing yourself, but not waaay out of your comfort zone. Eg aim just to get in the saddle and back out again. If once you're in the saddle you feel you can manage a couple of circuits then fab. Heck at some points I only had enough confidence to walk out Inhand, or just tack up. So that's what I did. It all helps, you don't necessarily need to be having a full on session every time you ride. Little and often and you will slowly chip away at the nerves and on the days when you're feeling more up for it, push out of your comfort zone a bit more.
Alot of us nervous nellies use a 'bore yourself into success' approach. It works wonders, good luck :wink:

PS forgive me for saying, but your horse does sound like he or she is very on the ball and reflecting back anything you do wrong. I don't know if that's greeness or just down to his or her type. But my boy is the same, very unforgiving of mistakes, not because they are bad, just because, in my case, flipo is not well educated himself. It's a risky situation to be in and I'd definitely encourage you to get some lessons. It will help you take charge as a leader, lots of transitions and direction from a RI will give you things to practice, specifically tailored to you and your horse. That way, you will be focused entirely on those exercises and that will communicate purpose and leadership to your horse which can only help build your confidence in each other.

newrider.com