Been offered a horse to ride

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
the yard owner has offered me a horse to ride whilst Moet is off work. It's her broodmare who she has decided not to breed from anymore and is going to sell her as a ridden horse.

She was ridden supposidely in the past and my yard owner has had her 3 years but never put tack on her.

She's around 16.3h IDxTB I would say, not sure on age (will ask later), I know nothing of her history (will ask later).

What approach would you take? I'm going to bring her up to the stables this afternoon as I've never actually met her, just to get a feel for her attitude and practice tacking up to see how she reacts.

Would you lunge for a few weeks first? Though she has been out of work for a while so wouldn't want to lunge round and round but just to get a feel for if she bronks or bolts etc?

Would you just hop on?

I'd just start from the beginning to make sure the basics are there. Which they probably would be. So lunge to make sure she can move off pressure. Long rein to make sure she can steer and turn through the bit. Lean over to make sure she is relaxed. Then go!

Reactions: candyman
Yup I'd lunge too and if she's quiet enough try leaning/hopping on quietly, then perhaps lead out in hand before hacking just to be sure :D

Ok! Although I am a confident rider on my own horses (or friends horses) it's been a long time since I have got on a horse I don't know especially one that hasn't been worked recently.

My yard owner is the type of person who just hops on, I'm more of the type to put emphasis on ground work first....but I don't want people thinking that I'm a wimp for not getting straight on!

Reactions: Ruskii
I'm another that would lunge first, test tack, lean and free school (just because I love it!) to get a feel for her energy levels and knowledge. Ditto Jessey in not feeling pressured to jump on board sooner than your ready. Have fun x

ETA: I wouldn't get on anywhere except in a school to begin with neither:eek:

Last edited:
No chance would I hop on first, especially with a 'She's supposed to have been broken / ridden before' :eek:

My approach would be exactly the same as yours, groundwork then lean, then hop on. Have you a school to ride in or an enclosed field ? I don't think I'd hack an unknown horse straight away without a few times in a school / field and a walk inhand in traffic to make sure she's sensible.

Sounds a great opportunity though !

Reactions: Kite_Rider
I would lunge first and get to know her a bit before getting on. Its great that your YO has offered you a ride whilst Moet recovers, keep us posted:)

I just watched Rick Gore's tips on how to check out a horse - he said get the owner to do all the things you want to do with her to show you what she's like. Then if the owner doesn't want to do it, you know that's either a problem, that you can either work on, or walk away!

Reactions: Jayne
I would go over all basics first, has YO got tack for her and does the saddle still fit etc. Take your time there no huge rush, you could try get YO involved she may offer to jump on for you. I'd treat her if I'd just bought her from the field and potter about with her, do groundwork and she will probably love the attention:) Hope it all goes well and your on board soon.x

I would work carefully with her owner and give the owner the privilege of sitting on her first. If you have no idea how she is going to react I personally wouldn't take the risk of being the first one to ride her. By all means do groundwork, lunging etc. and help the owner out, but do you really want to be the one who risks getting injured if it all goes wrong?

As everyone else has said I wouldn't just hop on either. It could be dangerous for you, but it's not fair on her either! I would treat her like she's never been ridden, and start from the beginning as if you were preparing to back her for the first time. If she seems ok with one step then go on to the next. Have fun - sounds like she could be a nice project for you!

Reactions: Jayne and candyman
If she has been a brood mare, it might be an idea to have her back and pelvis checked first, to make sure she hasn't gone wonky giving birth at some point.

Reactions: tikkitti
Was there a reason she was bought and only used as a broodmare? Was she a proven broodmare when YO bought her? Did she come from sales or does she have a bit of history? What's her age? All these things will help you have a bigger picture of her, at 16.3hh she's a decent size so you don't want to rush anything. Having said that my 16.3hh was a gentle giant but he was a ex racer so had always been in work. x

spoke to yard owner. The mare was bred by the previous owner and kept until sold to my YO. She was an allrounder, good as gold apparently. Then the old owner had a foal from her and then fell pregnant so couldn't keep her. Apparently the old owner decided to use her as a broodmare because she was 1/10s lame in the school (the lady was keen on dressage). The mare is now 18 and apparently sound according to my YO (though I've never seen my YO actually handle her).

I'm still undecided if I can be bothered tbh as I also have my friends 18h'er to ride whenever she is working, plus I can ride Major too, so I may well not get the chance to actually do anything with this mare.

Really appreciate all your advice though

Having Read you're last i'd ne hesitating. If you've plenty of other offers i'd be going with them unless i liked the mare a lot and the yo could explain in détail the 1/10 lameness. I can't imagine at 18 its got any better?Apologies if This isnt what You wanted to hear.

Having Read you're last i'd ne hesitating. If you've plenty of other offers i'd be going with them unless i liked the mare a lot and the yo could explain in détail the 1/10 lameness. I can't imagine at 18 its got any better?Apologies if This isnt what You wanted to hear.

oh gosh no I am inclined to agree with you!

newrider.com