Been a while but got pony viewing questions!

Snowyboy

Jun 6, 2007
Sunny South Wales
I was a member years ago but lost touch however we are off to view a pony later (daughter is pretty experienced for her age so looking for a next step up pony for her)

The advert is pretty good for said pony and it says its done everything we want it to do (looking for a pony club type pony that can be shown, do workers at County Level, bit of dressage to novice and jump pony Discovery) - not sure if this pony can jump 1m but it says its done Pony Club teams and WHP

This is my list of additional questions - what have I missed off my list please?!

In no order:

does he jump fillers

what height has he jumped to

what is he like to catch

what is he like to load

does he travel on a lorry and a trailer

can you leave him on the lorry when you arrive somewhere

what's he like to tack up (we had one that bit when you did his girth!)

can you give him treats (had one that bit if you treated)

when did he last have the dentist and what's he like with dentist

jabs - up to date?

any injuries and illnesses he's had

how long have you had him

is he chipped

whats he like in traffic

with tractors and quads

whats he like to lunge

whats he like in the school with other ponies

how is he with rustic fences

water trays

what's he like x country (they said he's done it but so has our current pony but you can't stop him cross country he gets stupid strong)

any vices

what's he like to clip

so what have i forgotten off my long list?

We can't afford to get this wrong as money is short as we lost a pony last year and chose to not wait the week for him to deteriorate to meet the beva guidelines. He was dying in front of us and we chose to say goodbye but petplan refused to pay out as he could stand for 1/2 hour before collapsing - the wanted us to travel him over an hour and a half to get him to a hospital for a brain scan but he wasn't able to stand for that long! Madness. He had a catastrophic head injury that wasn't survivable but we refused to risk him dying on the way to hospital so they didn't pay out. We had a pm done and it wasn't a survivable injury but again, because we didn't use THEIR vet to do the pm - it was ruled invalid - we didn't realise!

So, we lost a lot of money as he was an expensive jumping pony and the most adorable monkey ever, we loved him and miss him so much.

So, we have to get this one right as emotionally and financially its important to pick the right pony

So sorry to hear about your pony. How awful for you. Hope you get lots of replies - I'm sure you will. Oh and hello again too, I remember you.

Hello

i would ask what his daily routine is..it could be vastly different to what he is already used too or may find it harder to adapt too..

You could ask about mud fever/sweet itch/any soundness issues (this probably all falls under the illnesses you mentioned earlier)

Sorry to hear about your pony being PTS. :(

thanks

passport - on my checklist!

I'll worry about routine if we have him as to be honest, he'll have to adapt to ours as we have more than one pony so tis kinda a case of fitting in!! I know he's out 24/7 at mo and with us he'd be in at night but staying out isn't an option at our yard

obviously if we have him, I'll deal with farrier routine, dentist due, back due, feeding etc etc at that time as that's not deal breaking stuff, just reality!

All of mine are on different feeds as we need to fizz one up and calm one down - total opposites!

How often is he ridden at the moment?
Who rides him?
Does he need regular work to stay sane?
What is he turned out with? Can he be turned out alone? What is he like in the field with other horses?

I'd also ask if you can catch him, tack him up and ride him (once someone else has got on him first to check he's not a bronco) from the field. I'd also have a look at his feet.

As Lemme says, ask to see the passport and check it tallies with what the current owner says about how long she's had him, etc. I was stung on this, also sold a horse that turned out to be next to impossible to catch!

Welcome back!!

I would ask what Branch teams he was on and if you could talk to the DC about his performance, really good PC team ponies seldom get sold outside of the branch.

Good Luck, are you still near that wonderful saddlery?

As a child person, 1st off I would like to know what sort of person he is.. friendly etc does he enjoy having all the attention and baths/cuddles etc :wink:

If I were to buy another pony and I found one that I was interested in, I would ask the seller if they minded me talking to other liveries about the pony (out of earshot of the owner). If they have genuinely answered your questions then they shouldn't mind this, if they strongly object I would suspect they have something to hide.

I would also ask, if you get the feeling that the seller is honest, "What would you want to know about him, if you were buying him?" (of course if they are not being 100% this question is pointless!)

Eml, yep still there! Still on same livery yard as well - we don't like change!

We have our 12.2 out on loan to an adorable little girl

We have a 13.2 on loan but he'll need updating in the next year

We own a 14.1 Sec C whose grown to a D who she has never bonded with despite having him for 3 years now,he's out on loan and I keep hoping she'll work it out with him as he is the sweetest pony we've ever had

We are looking for a full up 14.2 to replace the 13.2 over the next year

The one we went to look at isn't a goer. It was the most adorable sweet pony but its a step back for her, not a step forward if that makes sense? It would struggle in a British Novice and it would never jump the 14hh real workers track I could have done with this pony 2 years ago, its just not for us for going forward with

Such a pity as it really was a sweetheart

Have fun pony hunting :biggrin:

I think temperment is so important for any pony/horse buying but especialy with a child's pony.

Everyone has already said a lot of useful questions, other stuff I might ask:

Do they change bit for xc

When was he last wormed, what kind of worming programme do they do

What's he like getting feet picked out

What's he like schooling alone, hacking alone, in field riding or xc training alone (I once trialled pony who was great when others around but got really anxious and difficult and hated being alone in an arena)

Would be good if you go see him if your daughter can help tack/untack, little groom, pick out feet etc.

If possible to be there when he is caught and led in etc would be good too.

Best of luck, hope it turns out well

Send me a message about what you really want, a 14hh WH may not be the best BS 14.2hh prospect or do you actually want a show or eventing pony or a bit of an allrounder not necessarily top in any particular discipline. I know a lot of people who's children have outgrown some of these.

Sadly I sold a fantastic jumping 14hh Connie very cheaply last year which I bought originally for myself to do dressage and hack, she however wanted to jump. We had schooled her round BE90 and she is now doing BSJA at 1m10 so would have suited you well...however she was a grey dun!!

newrider.com