Becoming a Dog Trainer

Pony Girl

Dec 22, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
I am looking on where to start in becoming a dog trainer, I mean I have trained the two family dogs in the past couple of years and they are really well behaved now. (as good as I can with going to school) Without anything needed to become one in North America I could just put up a sign at local pet stores but I know that it probably wouldn't work. I can't get experince by working at a SPCA because of me being so young ( I am not that young but finishing school) and they only let people that are over 20 or so (I don't know why help is help right?). Any ideas in what I can do? I also have had more experince than with our two dogs they are the only ones that I have been able to finish taht is all.

well try finding an organization tht trains dogs and see if you could start by volunterring. service dog organizations often need volunteer help. you could go from there

be a puppy carer for guide dogs. Their allways looking for puppy carers,and you train them in the things they need to know before going onto their afishal training. If you start there,it might lead to being an afishal trainer for them.

Good luck

I have the occassional doggy in for training :D i dont do it as a business though, mostly for friends. Mine's a bit more specific than a lot as i only train them for the show ring, and if neccessary, will show them for the owners (Got best of breed at Crufts the last two years with one dog i trained!!).

My "training" just started really with me training my own dogs for showing, and the breeder of my dogs was really impressed with how well they showed so she sent me some of hers to train, then word kind of spread lol

What sort of training do you want to do? That would be the first thing to decide! You could do anything from obedience and heelwork to training sniffer dogs!! If you wanted to go for the sniffer dog type training there are specific kennels that hire and train you to then be able to train the dogs. I have a friend who does that and its bl00dy hard work1 She has to be there at about 6am!!

With the obedience training, maybe ask around at local obedience classes and see what people can suggest there, but i think to do that you would have to have your own dogs trained to a high level ( so get them in training classes asap!!) to have them to "show off" to potential clients.

be a puppy carer for guide dogs. Their allways looking for puppy carers,and you train them in the things they need to know before going onto their afishal training. If you start there,it might lead to being an afishal trainer for them.

Good luck

puppy raising is an excellent thing to do i currently have one that im training. most organizations have you take a puppy into your home for a year than they go back to the organization for official training work as a guide or mobility assistance dog

newrider.com