Beach trip out

dancing lucy

May 23, 2008
stalybridge
I have a 15.3 cob who is not the fastest in canter and I do feel fairly safe on him but I only canter on tracks if we are going for more than a few minutes I start to panic that I will fall off and start shouting for my daughter to slow down therefore spoiling the ride for everyone else. We went to the beach last year and to be honest I was a bit of a nightmare everyone was galloping around the sands and out of the sea whilst I was clinging on for life shouting to stop but they have booked again for this year and I really need to build up some confidence to do it, because the others are flying along he tries to keep up with them so even though I am way behind he is still going faster than normal and having never galloped before I get scared. Any ideas welcome to gain me confidence before end of May. Also when I look at the pics of us on the beach last year I do seem to be leaning forward whilst everyone else is sat upright could this be part of my problem I wonder.

Have you got somewhere you can canter him safely so you can practise?

When Izzy was bucking in canter I knew I just had to learn to 1) sit the buck and 2) kick him on when he bucked. I also knew I had to canter more to make it boring. So I took him into our haylage field which is contained and has a hill. I pointed him up the hill and cantered. Walked back around and did it again. Did it about 5 times a night for a week. It gave me a lot of confidence.

If you could find somewhere like that where you know he can't really go anywhere you can practise and practise. You can also experiment with asking him to stop in different ways and see what works best. I would do it on your own, could have someone on the ground, but without another horse at first and then as you gain confidence do it with another horse. Then you'll know what he is likely to do in that situation and can learn to trust him in the canter/gallop.

And have fun. Going fast is ace!!!:running:

thanks we do have some fields close to our yard that are for horses to use so when it has been dry for a few days I will take him down there and have a go my daughter will have to come with us but I will get her to stay near the entrance the big baby is hard to get out on his own

Where are these fields out of interest? There are not many places near us to have a good blast.

Back to topic, you need to build your confidence up with this type of situaltion so starting at the fields would be a good start :happy:

I guess it depends on if you enjoy it, you could alwasy go as a foot soldier? Or, let daughter go and on another day come and pick us up - we aren't cantering anywhere at the moment so you'll not be making our ride "boring" !!:giggle:

Hi fields where we can ride are behind the Rising Moon on Matley Lane not as good as they used to be since the bloody golf club pinched part of them as a walk through. PFB I have thought about going on foot but am hoping to build up a bit of confidence over the next few weeks, we could only get a 4 horse wagon this time or you would have been welcome to jump in with us if we go anywhere else I will let you know. Everyone had a great day last year only me marred it a bit by shouting to slow down if Snoopy would slow down himself I wouldnt be so bad but when the others are going he suprised me and followed absolutely no stopping him till they stopped. We have some good pics of the day on facebook if you add me megan o'rourke

If I lean forward on my mare she goes like the clappers! It is like adopting the jockeys racing position so takes the weight off the horses back and lets them go faster. Can you have some one to one lessons on your horse with an instructor and work on your seat in canter? If you could this may help.

My other thought is if you don't enjoy it that much then maybe you shouldn't go. I don't really like racing around that much especially in a group so I tend to chose who I hack out with to suit me so I am not slowing them down and I feel safe and enjoy the ride rather than getting back to the field thanking the lord I'm in one piece!

My other thought is if you don't enjoy it that much then maybe you shouldn't go. I don't really like racing around that much especially in a group so I tend to chose who I hack out with to suit me so I am not slowing them down and I feel safe and enjoy the ride rather than getting back to the field thanking the lord I'm in one piece!

i kinda agree with this....

mind you i am also tempted to say to push your confidence boundaries...

i would try to prepare as best you can over the next few weeks, then if you still have doubts then go as a foot soldier, theres no fun in frightening yourself to death and losing your confidence!

Went out today with the other horses that will be going to the beach i was determined to stay calm and when we got onto the bridle path for a canter I was at the back as usual and just sat steady kept upright rather than lean forward and i pushed my feet down in the stirrups to help me, i also sang to him a bit and I was okay. We had another canter a bit later on and i did same again so over the next few weeks i am going to practice and not panic next week going to try open fields.

Well done. Think it is all about doing it more and more, in situations where you feel safe.

But am with the others that if you are really worried about it, better to leave it for another beach trip.

Hopefully with lots more cantering before the trip you will be 'excited nervous' instead of 'terrified nervous'!:biggrin:

If you are not afraid of the speed you will find leaning forward with your seat out of the saddle in a basic jumping position will make you feel more secure than trying to 'sit'. Practice the position in your lessons and out on hacks.

My 'helpers' club all squeal a lot when let go up a slightly uphill field at speed in this position but no one has ever fallen and everyone want to do it again!!

If you are not afraid of the speed you will find leaning forward with your seat out of the saddle in a basic jumping position will make you feel more secure than trying to 'sit'. Practice the position in your lessons and out on hacks.

My 'helpers' club all squeal a lot when let go up a slightly uphill field at speed in this position but no one has ever fallen and everyone want to do it again!!

I must be a freak as I would have suggested the opposite - i.e sitting deep and straight and just letting hips move - I feel more secure this way because my horse will slow down if I start resisting the movement.
I suppose it depends what works for you and what your horse responds to :wink:

newrider.com